23. Alfred and Batman

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...," I shrieked when I saw the pug run towards us at full speed.

Torryn, thinking that my screams were out of fear, quickly put himself between me and the dog, probably to calm him down. I only screamed some more out of pure happiness and roughly pushed Torryn out of the way. There was a resounding thud as he fell to the ground.

Ignoring him completely, I kneeled in front of the newest love of my life.

"Aww," I cooed, "You're such a good little boy, aren't you?"

"Did you," came an arctic cold voice from behind me, "just push me? " The disbelief in his tone wasn't lost on me, but I chose to ignore such trivial matters at the moment.

"Oh hush, Cole. Can't you see I'm talking to the love of my life here? What's his name?" I didn't have eyes for anyone but the one who deserved me, the pug. He was currently barking at me in joy.

"His name is Milo," came an amused reply from somewhere in front of me.

I reluctantly looked up from Milo, who was currently licking my hand, to see a beautiful, middle-aged woman. Taking in her straight nose, forest green eyes and tall figure, I decided that she was Torryn Cole's mother. From the auburn shade of her hair, I would've doubted that, but her features were too similar to Torryn's.

"Oh, hello," I smiled warmly at her. Walking in her direction with my left hand outstretched (my right one was covered in dog slobber), and Milo at my heels.

"I'm Arabella Cole, Torryn's mother. You are?" She returned my smile.

"I'm Aria Miller, Co- uh, Torryn's friend," I quickly got my tongue in check, " It's great to meet you, Mrs Cole."

"Oh, call me Arabella, darling. It's not every day that I meet the girl who brought my son to the ground," she winked at me good-naturedly and turned to Torryn, who still hadn't gotten off of the floor out of shock, "You seem to be having the greatest of times on the floor, son." She smirked at him and I decided that she was one amazing woman.

Torryn grumbled incoherently as he got up, dusting off invisible specks of dust.

"Mr Cole, would like me to fetch you a new shirt?" An incredibly formal voice said from behind Arabella. Oh my God, was he-? The man looked old with silver-grey hair and a wrinkled face. He still stood with his spine straighter than a ruler.

"No, Alfred, I don't think I'll be needing it," Torryn replied in a gruff tone.

"Alfred?" I pointed a shaking finger at the erect form of the butler and then shifted it towards Torryn, "Your father's Batman, isn't he?" And then I whispered under my breath, "I knew it! "

"What? No!" Torryn looked at me with a weirded out expression. "You come up with the strangest of notions, Miller."

"I will have to agree with you, Mr Cole," Alfred nodded with a stony expression.

Like master, like butler, I thought to myself bitterly.

A loud chuckle erupted from Arabella.

"Oh, you're certainly refreshing, Aria," she said gleefully. "I'm curious how Torryn managed to befriend you, though."

Before I could explain anything to her, Torryn had already grumbled out, "I befriended no one. She just needs my help with a school project."

And with that, he caught my arm and tried to manoeuvre us around the smiling form of his mother towards a grand staircase in the middle of the room.

"Okay," she smiled, the amusement in her eyes as discreet as a flying brick to the face.

"Move your own feet, Miller. I haven't got all day," Torryn glared at me when he saw that I was letting myself be pulled by him. Why should I walk when someone's already doing it for me?