44. Unexpected Conversations.

"Oh, you're here, good," I smiled at the man, who immediately started cursing under his breath at the sight of me. "I was beginning to think I would die before you returned," I sighed dramatically.

"I left this office 7 minutes ago," Inspector Bryant deadpanned before his gaze narrowed. "And what are you doing on my computer? There are high profile cases in there."

"I was just going through some high profile cases," I smiled charmingly at him. No, I wasn't. I was actually changing the wallpaper because I didn't like it. Now, it was set to soothing tones that would help calm the inspector's mind.

There was also a creepy frog smack dab in the middle of it.

The only reason I knew how to get into Inspector Bryant's computer was because of Mason; he was kind of okay with computers.

Okay, that's a lie.

Mason was good enough to be an IT guy for the mob. I kept telling him that, but apparently, the dark side wasn't for him. The

"Get off my seat!" Inspector Bryant crossed the room in three long strides, looking already frustrated with my visit. "I keep telling them not to let you in for no reason."

He looks like Anger from Inside Out, my subconscious snickered.

"If I knew how red-faced he gets, I would've accompanied you sooner," Mae snorted in amusement, getting down from her place on the window sill.

"What on earth—?"

Apparently, Inspector Bryant hadn't noticed Mae's presence. I wouldn't blame him; Mae was a hard person to spot if she didn't want to be spotted.

"What evil have I committed today for them both to be here?" He raised his head to the heavens.

"Not accept my offer to be your assistant," I reminded him with a lazy smirk.

"That is not happening," he shot me a glare.

"Well, I had to try," I waddled over to the opposite side—too lazy to walk like a normal human being—and sat in one of the chairs. Mae shrugged at me in agreement.

"I should have you arrested for going through a Police Inspector's computer," Inspector Bryant grunted.

"Go for it," I encouraged him. "Unless you don't want Mrs Bryant to divorce you."

"I don't understand why she loves you so much; seeing how you burned down part of our backyard once," he grumbled.

I clicked my tongue. "You know, sometimes, I feel like you don't want to be neighbors with me."

"I don't," he assured me, "and I've said that many times as well. For someone so smart, you sure are dense, too."

"Ignorant," I narrowed my eyes, "we call it ignorant."

Inspector Bryant rolled his eyes, taking a sip of coffee from his styrofoam cup.

"Did you know that styrofoam takes up 30 percent of the space in some landfills?" I blurted out. "What would your mom say if she saw you using it?"

The inspector thought for a while and then snorted. "That it's definitely the cheaper option. Anyway, why are you two here?"

Mae and I exchanged a cautious glance. There was a great chance we were wrong about this, but I didn't like the chances of us being right.

"If it is what we think it is, then we're here to talk about Powder," I said.

Immediately, Inspector Bryant sprayed out the coffee in his mouth onto Mae.