55. Paradise Part 2

For a moment, I'd believed that I had been shot and was about to sprout out some dramatic last words, when I realized something; I didn't feel pain.

Shit, I'm already dead! I didn't even get to say my rehearsed 'Last Words Of Aria Miller' speech, part 1 of 13!

My eyes were closed and I was fully expecting to see Satan as soon as I opened them.

Alright, Aria, think! Which parts of hell do you want jurisdiction over first?

Just as I was about to list my plans for the underworld domination, two voices yelled out:

"Paradise PD! Hands in the air!"

"FBI! Put your hands in the air!"

Cautiously opening one eye after deciding that maybe I wasn't dead, I took in the sight that explained the gunshot. My eyes widened in horror.

Ellie was on the floor, her gun lying closer to me than to her, and her arm was bleeding like no tomorrow.

If she loses more blood, there truly will be no tomorrow for her, my subconscious commented.

Ignoring her, my gaze drew up to armed men in vests that said FBI and some that said Paradise PD, as they aimed their guns on the goons, at least the ones that were still conscious.

My gaze drew to a short at a particular individual.

"Took you long enough," I grinned tiredly. Now that the adrenaline was draining off, the throb in my foot was getting sharper with each passing second.

"Maybe I should arrest you first," Inspector Bryant grumbled but his eyes gave a concerned once over, probably to check if I still had all my appendages attached.

They were, I soon realised, as two bodies grabbed onto me from two sides.

"What were you thinking?!" Torryn growled.

"She clearly wasn't," Mae replied, her eyes drilling holes into my skull.

"Ah, my fantasy threesome," I muttered dazedly, my mind still a little foggy from the occurrences.

I felt a punch in my arm, not powerful enough to hurt me but definitely effective in getting my attention. I grinned at Mae.

Torryn shook his head, his eyes relieved and amused. "What am I to do with you, Miller?"

"More like, what are we," Ethan matched my grin as he and the other dropped to the ground and we had a very, emotional group hug. At least, that's what we were doing until,

"Can you stop that and untie me?" Anthony's weasel-ly tones floated through the air.

We all let out a groan.

"How did you get Selene to agree to a marriage with you?" I asked, my expression equal parts confusion and equal parts disbelief.

"I have to say, Miller has a point," Torryn nodded.

"Ugh, I'm going to tell the cops you all tied me up-"

"Cole?" I murmured.

"Yes?" He smiled, raising a familiar tie pin.

Anthony couldn't have shut up faster if Rhea had smacked him.

"Are any of you hurt?" I asked anxiously, the worry I'd tried so hard to keep down surfacing.

"Nope, all in one peace," Mason chirped. "Except for some bruises."

"Nothing that can't be fixed by some band-aid," Matt reassured me as the others nodded in agreement.