33. To Save A Friend.

"You look sad." The girl with brown hair and jade-green eyes stated as she sat on the swing next to the boy with jet black hair and forest-green eyes. They couldn't have been older than 7 years.

The boy frowned at her. "That's because I am sad."

"Why are you sad?" She asked, swinging slowly.

A scowl adorned the boy's young face quickly. "Why should I tell you? And who's with you? What are you doing alone?"

"Oh, my dad's gone to the washroom so he told me to wait here," the girl answered, unfazed by the boy's rudeness. "Who are you here with?" The little girl crossed her arms.

"My mom. She's talking to the old lady there," he pointed in the direction of two ladies not far away.

They were both quiet for a moment. Then, "I'm sad because my little sister's going away."

The little girl looked up from the colourful rocks to glance at the glum face of the boy on the swing next to her. "Where is she going?"

"To another country. I think Mom said London," the little boy nodded to himself.

"Why is she going to London?"

"Because my uncle is going to London."

"Why is your sister going with you unc- oh, is she your cousin sister?"

"Yes, but she's also my best friend. Well, Ethan's my best friend too, but he can't stay with us after we're done playing. She can. Do you have a best friend?"

"I do. But Mae's sick so she can't play or else you could've met her, too."

"Oh." The boy nodded, returning his sad gaze to the ground.

The girl looked around, trying to come up with something to cheer him up. Taking out a chocolate from her pocket she stared at it. Chocolate solved everything after all.

She gave out a painful sigh and tore the wrapper open. Breaking off a quarter of the chocolate, she extended it towards the boy.

The little boy cast her a confused glance before glancing at the chocolate and accepting it.

"You should be honoured," she started, "You're the first person I've shared my chocolate with. I don't even share it with my brother, Caleb. He's only 3 and he cries a lot," She glanced back at the boy to make sure he knew that this was a Serious Matter.

"Thank you," he nodded and smiled a shy smile.

A grin broke out on her face, "Are you less sad now?"

"Yes," he smiled back.

They were silent for a moment.

"I haven't seen you here before and I know everyone who comes here," the girl frowned to herself, trying to remember if she did know the boy.

"Oh, I never come here. We have a playground back home. Mom and Dad think it's safer there."

"Oh." She clapped her hands excitedly, "Now, what do you wanna do?"

The boy thought for a minute before turning to her with a grin. "Let's go feed the pigeons!"

She pouted, "But I don't like pigeons."

"Oh," the boy frowned.

Noticing the frown, she hurriedly got up from her place on the swing. "You know what, let's feed pigeons." She smiled. Before turning around and giggling, "Race you to the pigeons!"