Trapped Again

Rutuja rushed towards them, her heels sinking into the muddy ground. She raised her hands in the air, and as if responding to her command, the wolves were lifted off the ground, dissipating into a thin mist.

She knelt beside Rishi, placing her hand gently on his forehead. The glow of the ring ceased.

"Why? Why didn't the ring work?" she wondered aloud, her gaze shifting to Daksh.

Daksh tightened his grip on Rishi's hand, his brows furrowed with concern. "Try using the ring to take us back," he suggested, his voice filled with a mix of hope and scepticism. "I know it's not meant for that, but let's give it a try," Rutuja said as she closed her eyes and brought the ring closer to her chest.

                                                                      ~~~~~

"I don't want to go back in there," expressed Advika, her grip tightening on Zarna's hand.

Zarna nodded in agreement. "Yes, the last time was terrifying. We were nearly suffocated."

"But the sound, the music is coming from this direction," Maya pointed out, her adventurous spirit shining through. Her training had prepared her to face both benevolent and malevolent spirits. While Advika saw it as recklessness, her friends saw it as bravery.

"And this time, we're equipped with ropes. We've sent those three... wherever they ended up, it doesn't matter. We're prepared this time," Ray chimed in, securing the rope to one of the temple's pillars.

"Advika," Tej whispered softly, placing a reassuring hand on her shoulder. "Everything will be alright. Our enemies are occupied with their own battles, and there's no threat to us."

"I'll go first. Everyone else can follow," Ray declared, taking hold of the rope and descending into the depths of the temple.

                                                        ~~~~~~

"No," Rutuja exclaimed, frustration evident in her voice, as she ran her fingers through her long hair.

Daksh, still carrying Rishi on his back, watched her with concern.

Rutuja stepped forward, positioning herself in front of them, just as a massive circle of fire materialized before them.

"Rutuja," Daksh called out, reaching out to grab her hand, but the powerful currents of air generated by the circle began to pull her toward its center. With one hand holding Rutuja and the other supporting Rishi, Daksh struggled against the force, feeling his strength draining away.

"Daksh, take care of Rishi," Rutuja managed to say amidst the gusts. As the winds intensified, she was pulled closer to the center of the circle.

"Rutuja!" Daksh shouted, his voice filled with desperation as he clung tightly to both Rishi and Rutuja, their bodies being propelled toward the heart of the swirling vortex.

Daksh leaped into the air and, bracing himself, entered the circle, landing on the hard wooden ground within it, Rishi still firmly held on his back.

                                                                   ~~~~~

Maya walked towards the stone table in the secret underground room. She looked at her reflection in the water of the golden glass bowl.

"The sound isn't coming from the water," said Advika and rubbed the sand off the stone table.

Zarna touched the music syllables engraved on the stone table. Soft music escaped from the engravings.

"What does this music mean?" wondered Ray and looked around the room.

Tej picked up a rather odd-looking book and dusted the dirt off it. "Careful with it," said Advika remembering the last time they summoned a book.

"There's something with you and books I believe," said Maya and walked towards him.

"It's locked," he said as he held a small silver lock attached to the book.

"The key," Ray stated, bending down to pick up a small, circular object lying on the ground.

Curiosity piqued, Tej accepted the key from Ray and examined it closely, his lips pursed in contemplation. "No, bro, this isn't the key we're looking for. At least not for this lock."

Ray nodded thoughtfully, slipping the key into his pocket for safekeeping.

Meanwhile, Advika directed her attention to the glass bowl before her, her gaze fixed intently upon it.

"Advika," Maya interjected cautiously, a note of concern in her voice. "Are you thinking about—"

"Yes," Advika interrupted, determination lacing her words, as she closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

Intrigued, Tej stepped forward, his curiosity getting the better of him. "Planning what?" he inquired, his curiosity evident in his voice and expression.

"Legend has it. This water can answer your questions, almost all questions," revealed Maya. "We got this info from books of course. We've been doing a lot of research lately."

Ray looked up at the sliding door above them. Zarna nudged him. "Nothing, just making sure we're not trapped again," he said.

"Hey, I lost my favorite headband, can the water tell me where it is?" asked Ray and pouted. Tej smiled and tilted his head.

"Seriously, Ray, we're in the middle of something serious," said Maya and nodded her head.

"Tell me, O Holy Water, where does the secret to the—" Advika began.

 The flashlights on their phones flickered, casting an uncertain light in the dim surroundings. To their astonishment, the rope they had relied upon caught fire, threatening to sever their connection to the surface.

"Move!" Zarna exclaimed, her voice urgent, as she swiftly pulled Ray away from the burning rope.

Advika opened her eyes, her focus shifting as she assessed the situation before her.

"No, no, Advika, don't stop," Maya insisted, her voice unwavering, as she raised her arms to the sky. "Continue with your question. We'll handle this situation."

               ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey all lovely Readers,

How y'all doing?

Hope you are liking the story. Would love to know your thoughts on it.

Who do you think is the attacker here?