The Forest

"I did it again," Tej boasted, patting Ray's shoulders as he came to a stop.

Ray, panting and smiling, raised both hands in the air. "I give up."

"Let's go," Tej said, ready to leave.

However, Advika interjected, her gaze shifting towards the forest. The towering, emerald trees were in the process of uprooting themselves and dissolving into the atmosphere, vanishing like sugar dissolving in water. "Careful," Ray cautioned, grasping Advika's arm and pulling her behind.

Invisible walls of air surged around the forest, generating a tempest and shaping a protective dome overhead. The trees spun around the central rock, shrinking in size until they disappeared, as though they had never been there. The once sprawling forest faded into obscurity.

"I've seen it so many times, but it still fascinates me," Advika said, in awe.

"Let's head to the Coffee House," Ray suggested.

"Yeah, we need to talk," Tej agreed.

Zarna draped her arm around Advika's shoulders as they walked towards the car parked on the roadside.

Ray took the wheel while Tej sat beside him, and the girls settled in the backseat. They drove for an hour until they reached the Cafe, a Sunday routine for them now.

Ray pulled the car into the Cafe's parking lot, nestled among trees and a vibrant garden. Advika inhaled deeply, savoring the crisp air infused with the scent of freshly brewed coffee. She heard the leaves rustling and grinned as Maya extended her hand to relish the breeze against her skin.

The connection with nature was a profound sensation, impossible to articulate in words. Yet, they were aware that they had to conceal their unique abilities.

"Guys, I don't think this is the right place for what you're doing," Ray advised.

"Yeah, let's head inside," Tej concurred, leading the way to the Café's wooden entrance.

A prominent sign dangled at the entrance, bearing the inscription "The Coffee House." It resembled an antique two-story dwelling more than a typical café. The chairs, tables, sofas, and even the billing counter were all adorned with an elegant blue and white color palette.

Zarna ascended the stairs and surveyed the surroundings. The majority of the tables were already occupied. "There it is, our regular spot," Maya declared, indicating a circular table nestled in the corner of the balcony. They navigated their way to it and took their seats.

"Order's in. Let's go," Advika said to the boys, and they made their way upstairs to the balcony. Advika sat down next to Zarna, with Ray and Tej following suit.

As they settled in, some of the staff smiled at them, recognizing them as regulars who visited every Sunday. Advika was known for her love of food and insisted on trying different cuisines each time they came to the cafe.

Maya, on the other hand, stuck to her usual green tea or lemonade. There was something mysterious about Maya that intrigued the others.

Advika recalled how Maya would always check for cafes and restaurants that didn't have any mirrors, which seemed odd to everyone else. Nobody quite understood her fear of mirrors, but Advika, being the curious ones of the group, was determined to uncover Maya's secrets.

~~~~~~~~