Get Together

Advika opened the door and smiled at Tej. He looked her in the eye and headed towards the dining table where his mother and friends were seated.

What's wrong with him? thought Advika and closed the door scanning the lane for any intruders one last time.

Tej hugged his mom and sat beside her. "Dad will be back home next week," he said and held her hands. "I know," said Swarna and smiled. "Go freshen up and come. We are all waiting for you."

Tej headed upstairs to his room while Advika and Ray helped serve dinner. "So, children, how is it going with you guys?" asked Swarna as Advika and Ray took their seats. Maya sat opposite Swarna and Zarna, with Advika and Ray sitting beside her.

"All good," said Maya. "I'm working on a new case, as an intern of course."

"That's nice," beamed Swarna and looked at Zarna, who was sitting next to her. "Oh, I'm preparing for my exams, for next month," she said. "I hope you were able to study while you were here," said Swarna. "Of course," replied Zarna and glanced at Maya and Advika.

"And Ray," said Swarna as Tej descended the stairs. "I heard your show."

"Really?" said Ray, surprised. Tej sat next to his mother.

"Yes of course. You are an amazing host, I must say," she said and smiled. 

"Thanks," beamed Ray and raised his brows at Tej. Tej gave him a wry smile and held his mom's hand. "I'm glad you are fine," he said. She caressed his hair and half-hugged him. "Let's begin the feast then," said Ray and removed the lid from a large white bowl. "Bean and vegetable soup by chef me," he chirped. "Also, good for your health," he added serving it to Swarna.

Advika lent a helping hand to everyone, ensuring that the food was served before she settled down to eat herself. As she took a bite, Swarna initiated a conversation. "Tej mentioned that you run a small business, Advika," she said. The words caught in Advika's throat, causing her to choke on a crispy vegetable. Reacting swiftly, Tej handed her a glass of water. She coughed and managed to gulp down the water. "Are you alright?" he asked, concern etched on his face. Advika nodded, signaling that she was fine, and dabbed her mouth with a tissue.

Swarna glanced at Tej, then turned her attention to Ray, who struggled to conceal the smile that danced across his face. "Zarna mentioned that you make wonderful candies and sweets," Swarna remarked. "And this Gulab Jamun, is made by Chef Advika," Ray chimed in, playfully nudging her.

Advika merely smiled and looked at Swarna. "They are my favourite," said Swarna. "I know. I made it especially for you," said Advika. "O, that's so sweet of you," said Swarna and looked at Zarna. 

"But you guys should keep coming, you know, even though I'm fine now, and Arvind will be back soon," said Swarna and took a bite of the paneer kofta. "Delicious," she said. "Thank you," beamed Ray. "Yes, we'll get to have special dishes prepared by chef Ray himself," added Maya devouring another spoonful of fried rice.

"Well, thank you, and the fried rice, that's by Advika," he said and served himself some of it. Maya looked appreciatively at Advika. Advika blinked at her and smiled. Tej and Ray exchanged glances. They both knew Maya and Advika never liked each other and were never on the same page in any matter.

"You guys could do something together," suggested Swarna. "A business, or a restaurant, you can make a good team."

"Oh, yes, the mission," said Zarna, munching.

All eyes were on her. "What mission?" asked Swarna and looked at Tej. He nodded his head. "The mission to succeed in life," jumped Advika. "Be successful and with each other in this journey."

"Yeah, right," said Maya and smiled, giving Zarna a 'be careful' look. "That's great," appreciated Swarna. "I love your bond."

"Bond," said Tej. "That reminds me of tomorrow's deal. I have to talk to Taneja uncle." He picked up his dish and began walking towards the kitchen. "At least taste the rice and sweet," insisted Swarna. "No, I'm done. I'll see you guys tomorrow," he said and looked at everyone except Advika and went straight to the kitchen.

~~~~

"Daksh," Rishi called out, taking measured steps toward him. Daksh stood against the wall, his gaze fixated on the ground.

"I have to admit, I kept a watchful eye on you," Rishi confessed. "Even during the times I was away, attending school and training, I never stopped being aware of your actions and well-being."

Daksh's eyes shot up, displaying a mix of surprise and disbelief. "How did you know?" he demanded.

"Listen," Rishi began, placing his hand gently on Daksh's shoulder. "I want you to understand that I never intended to cause you harm. My actions were driven by a desire to protect-"

Daksh abruptly shrugged off Rishi's hand and seized him by the collar, forcefully pushing him against the wall. "I don't need protection," he growled, his voice filled with defiance.

Rishi could sense the warmth of Daksh's breath against his face, prompting him to close his eyes and bow his head slightly. "No, you never followed me," Daksh muttered, more as a reassurance to himself than a question directed at Rishi.

Rishi gently removed Daksh's hand from his collar and replied, "No, Daksh, I never followed you. I knew you always had doubts about the way Master Indra conducted his teachings."

He took a step back, turning away from Daksh. "There was only one instance when I followed you," he confessed. Daksh's heart pounded fiercely within his chest; his fists clenched tightly as he squeezed his eyes shut.

"The first time you had entered Azazel's den," began Rishi. "Back then, you did not know how to hide traces, so it was easy to follow you. I pledged I would keep an eye on you to-"

"Why didn't you tell dad?" asked Daksh and marched towards Rishi. "Why didn't you tell Rutuja? You always wanted them to hate me. You had a chance." He smiled and shook his head. "Oh, right, did not have any proof, did you?"

Rishi looked up and swallowed the lump in his throat. "That was never the reason," he said. "I know you mean no harm. I know why you-"

"Guys," Rutuja came running from the stairs. She ran towards Rishi and half hugged him. She walked towards Daksh and held his hand. "I saw Dai Maa."

~~~~

Until next time...