Rescued

Daksh squeezed Rutuja's hand as she wiped her tears sitting beside Rishi, his body covered in bandages, a testament to the ordeal they had been through.

Indra approached the small cot where the children were seated, his presence commanding attention.

"Would you care to tell me how you landed there?" asked Indra.

Daksh and Rutuja exchanged a glance.

"So, you were the one who sent that ring of fire?" asked Daksh.

"That's not the answer to my question," said Indra.

"Where's Dai Ma?" asked Rutuja.

"She's busy preparing medicine for Rishi," answered Indra and looked at Rishi. "Who attacked you?"

"Wolves," said Rutuja. "We were going through books on the second floor of the library."

"And?" said Indra.

"The portal. It started emitting some kind of light. The next thing we knew we were into it and transported to someplace," she lied and clutched Rishi's hand.

"You weren't supposed to step out in the first place," said Indra.

"Sorry Master Indra, I know, but we just wanted to-"

"It was my idea," said Daksh.

"Well, of course, that doesn't need to be told," said Indra.

Dai Ma entered the room with a bowl full of some liquid.

Rutuja kept her hand on Rishi's head. "He isn't awake yet," she said.

"He'll be fine. I've given him an injection," said Dai Ma and handed the bowl to Rutuja.

                                                          ~~~~~

"Kings and Queens?" wondered Maya as she tied her curly hair into a bun.

"But what I asked was different," said Advika and leaned on the pillow.

Tej's house had transformed into their sanctuary since the attack, and now their meetings took place within the confines of his bedroom.

Ray sat on the floor and leaned against the bean bag closing his eyes.

"Was there something else you noticed?" asked Tej and sat next to Ray. Zarna settled on the bed, seemingly on the verge of drifting off to sleep.

Maya, however, couldn't stay still and paced restlessly across the room.

"Colors," said Advika.

There was a knock on the door. Maya opened the door with a smile.

Advika got down from the bed and went to help Maya and Swarna with the coffee mugs.

"Hello, children," said Swarna as she placed a tray on the table. It had five plates in it with a sandwich and some chips each.

"Hi, aunt Swarna," they chirped.

"How are you guys doing?" she asked and handed over a plate full of sandwiches and chips to Ray.

"Fabulous, as always," said Ray and took the plate sitting upright.

"What happened to your hand?" she asked and examined Ray's hand which was covered with his handkerchief.

"Nothing really," he replied and smiled.

"How's your new project going, aunty," asked Zarna, changing the topic.

"Oh, wonderful. There are challenges, but what's life without some adventure," she replied and smiled.

"I agree," said Maya and took a sip of the green tea.

"Did you get hurt too?" asked Swarna and advanced towards Advika who was standing near the bean bag holding a coffee mug.

Tej looked at her from head to toe. Swarna touched Advika's forehead. "Ouch!" she said and pursed her lips.

"Are you fine?" said Tej as he got up keeping the sandwich back into the plate. Swarna smiled at him and then at Advika.

"Yes, I'm fine. I might have hit my head somewhere," she said.

"Take care," she said and kept her hand on Advika's head. Advika smiled at her and nodded her head.

                                                   ~~~~~~

"Rishi," said Rutuja.

Dai Ma offered him support, helping Rishi sit up straight on the small cot.

Daksh stood in the corner of the room, leaning on the wall, staring at Rishi.

"Rishi," said Rutuja and hugged him; tears streaming from her eyes.

Rishi mustered a slight smile and wrapped his arm around her, providing comfort.

Daksh closed his eyes and turned his head towards the window, seeking solace in the distant view.

"I'll be right back," said Dai Ma and headed towards the kitchen.

Daksh walked in the direction of the bed and stood there facing Rishi.

"Rishi, you'll be fine," assured Rutuja and kept her hand on his injured shoulder.

"Weak, are you?" said Daksh and crossed his arms.

"You wish," said Rishi.

"Guys," said Rutuja and glared at both of them.

"Tell me, Rishi, why wouldn't Rutu's ring work on you?" asked Daksh and sat on the chair in the room.

"Ring?" quizzed Rishi.

"The Rescue Ring. My ring, do you remember? It heals wounds, and can call help," said Rutuja.

"I don't know," said Rishi and closed his eyes touching his forehead. "Maybe because of that place, it was evil, good powers don't work in such evil places."

Daksh looked at Rishi and nodded his head. "I'll see you guys in a while," he said and left the room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi lovely readers,

Hope y'all doing well.

Finally, I wrote a lengthy chapter thanks to anjila2

I hope y'all liking the story and the pace.