Sleep over

"Advika", Tej's voice rang out with hope, "No one's betraying anyone here."

Advika sighed as she looked at Ray and Maya. "The thing is that the vision you saw might be false," she said.

"What do you mean?" Ray asked, while Maya nodded in agreement.

"You do know this, Maya, don't you?" Advika continued. "If you see a vision, there are chances that someone wants you to see it. It might be a warning or a trap."

Zarna chimed in, puzzled, "You mean, there is someone who's trying to deceive us or warn us?"

"How do we know if he or she is a friend or enemy?" wondered Ray.

"I have no idea yet," Advika replied.

"I guess you've read a lot of books on this topic," Ray said with a hint of sarcasm.

Advika interjected, "Maya also has, FYI."

"I wasn't accusing you," Maya retorted. 

"Being a student of paranormal studies, you know things better than me, Maya," said Advika. 

"Yes, I know. But I was just telling them what I saw," said Maya defensively.

"Okay, guys," interrupted Tej. "It's okay. We won't hide things or doubt each other moving forward, none of us," he said, trying to diffuse the tension. He then picked up his plate along with an empty coffee mug and headed towards the kitchen downstairs, with Advika following behind.

As Maya's phone rang with her mom's name flashing on the screen, she answered the call promptly. "Hi, mom, I was just going to call. I'm on my way, I'll be-"

The call went on for a brief moment.

Advika kept her plate and coffee mug near the sink and folded her arms, looking lost in thought. Tej joined her, trying to comfort her. "I know you don't like her much-"

"It's not about that, Tej," said Advika with a sigh, as she started washing the dishes. "It's just that she always has to jump to conclusions like that."

"Okay, just calm down. We all know you, or anyone of us, wouldn't even think of a thing like betrayal. Just bear with her until the mission is-"

"Over?" Advika said, placing the clean dishes in their designated spots and opening the cabinet to put away the cleaned mugs. Tej seemed to be lost in thought. "Don't worry," she reassured him. "We will finish this successfully."

Tej nodded. "Let's go up."

Maya smiled and ended the call with her mom, placing the phone on the bed. "Mom's out of town," she said with a grin. "Dad's already in Kolkata, and my brother is busy partying."

"Party?" Zarna exclaimed with excitement. "Yes, it's his best friend's birthday, so..."

"It means we have more time together," Ray said with a hopeful smile. "I mean, we can discuss things."

"Yes, can we stay here tonight?" Zarna asked Ray, looking hopeful. 

"I'm surprised you asked that. I mean, will your parents allow?" Ray wondered. "Yes, I'll convince them somehow. Adu?"

Advika hesitated, fidgeting with her hair. "I... I'll have to ask," she stammered, unsure if her mom would allow her to have a sleepover.

"I'll stay too, Advika. Make some excuse. We'll have to figure out what to do ahead," said Tej.

"Okay, give me a minute," Advika said.