Back Home

Rutuja and Rishi were seated together on the library's second floor, surrounded by books scattered about. Sunlight filtered through the glass windows, carrying with it a gust of hot air that stirred the dust on a few books.

As Rishi flipped through a book, Rutuja eyed them, mentally noting the titles and authors.

"No use," he said and closed the book. "All our efforts are..."

"Can't we do anything?" questioned Rutuja and shut a thick book clasped in her hands. 

"Everything will happen as per the book's wish," said Rishi. 

"Then, why were we trained, Rishi? Why?" 

Rishi turned towards her and held her hand.  "So that we can help people who aren't aware of these things," he said. 

"By that, I remember," she said and got up, dusting her jeans. "You and I both have been asked to train kids, as in, give martial arts training to children."

"Master Indra?" asked Rishi with a bright smile.

"Yes, we are going to teach in his academy," replied Rutuja and smiled. 

"Secret academy," added Rishi. 

Rutuja nodded her head and pursed her lips. 

"What happened to finding someone who knew about the portal?" asked Rishi and kept a few books back on the shelf.

"Got to keep it on a side-burner for now. Let's go," said Rutuja and took a step towards the door. Rishi held her hand. 

"Thinking about Daksh?" he questioned. 

Rutuja swiveled. "I wish he was on the good side," she said. 

"He is. He's just different, not like you and me," said Rishi. 

"No, Rishi, I doubt he's with..."

"Azazel? Are you kidding me?" said Rishi almost reading her mind. 

"You don't know him," she said and looked at the ground. 

"Okay, he's earned a bad boy reputation, I agree, but he isn't that bad," said Rishi. 

"He's been rude to you, always," said Rutuja; her eyebrows pulled together in confusion. "Then why, Rishi? Why defend him?"

"I'm not defending him," clarified Rishi. "I'm just saying that if the time comes, he will choose us over anything."

~~~~~~~

"It's hard to decipher what the book wants," said Advika and sat on the bed with a pillow kept on her lap. 

"We can't proceed without the book's instructions," added Maya and sat on the bean bag.

Tej looked over at Advika from the corner of his eyes before reaching over to select a book from the bookshelf.

"New bookshelf?" asked Zarna and stood behind him with her hands on her hips. Tej nodded his head and smiled. "Thought of organizing things for a change," he said. 

"Well, a lot of things are changing," said Ray and winked. 

"As in?" asked Maya.

"Us," said Ray. "We've changed."

"I don't think so," said Maya. "Improved maybe."

"Where are you lost?"  questioned Zarna as she sat next to Advika. 

"Aa... nowhere, just thinking about the book," she said, fidgeting with her hair. 

Ray walked towards Tej and leaned towards him. "Maybe you should talk to her," he whispered.

There was a knock on the door. It was Tej's mom, Mrs. Swarna Patel. "Hi, kids," she said as she walked into the room with a tray in her hands.