Chapter 3 : Squat

Cassandra forbid Jane from leaving the apartment to hang. The brunette was mad at this decision, but she decided to make herself inconspicuous to not make things worse. The woman bought Jane new school supplies as the brunette burnt her last ones. Jane hadn't been in school for almost a year. She had lots of gaps to fill now. She was trying to work on the books that Cassandra bought, but she wasn't understanding anything. She knew she wouldn't even stay a month in this school. Arriving at the end of a year was a stupid idea and a waste of time. She closed her books and threw them away, too frustrated to continue. To relax, she decided to go to the garden. She sat at the plastic table and began to smoke her cigarette. Cassandra, who was in the living-room, saw her and decided to join her. Cassandra tried to smile to Jane, but the brunette was looking at the hedge on her left, avoiding eye's contact.

- "Don't be mad at me," the woman said.

- "I'm not," Jane mumbled.

- "Why don't you look at me anymore then?"

- "Because...I'm pissed."

- "About school?"

- "Of course, about school!" the young girl angrily stated. "I'm too stupid to go to school, I hate this place, and I hate people who are in there!"

- "Okay...First, you're far from being stupid. You're a smart girl, you just struggle with authority and homework. Second, you don't even know the place! You'll probably find new friends, friends who are not robbing stores."

- "Can you stop with that!?"

- "No. I'm not stopping until I'm sure you won't do it again!"

Jane made a sharp movement with her hand of frustration before crossing her arms, putting her feet on the table, and looking away, her cigarette between her lips. Cassandra didn't like yelling at Jane, she was sure it was making things worse. She stood, as she had to go to work, kissed Jane's head, and left the apartment.

The brunette waited for Cassandra to be out of the apartment to grab her bag and to leave it too. She was tired to stay in her room with nothing to do. She wanted to see her friends before beginning school. She walked in the streets and arrived between buildings. The apartments were making a U, joined by green metallic stairs. Under them were warehouses where trucks were always dropping off boxes. She took the stairs on the right wall and stopped at the second level to knock at the door. A young half-asleep girl with blonde messy hair opened the door.

- "Jane? What's wrong?" she mumbled with a hoarse voice.

- "Hey, Mallory. Um..."

- "Come in."

The brunette took a last puff of her cigarette before throwing it away and entering the apartment. It was a small apartment. Everything was in the same room, except for the toilet which was in a room of the size of a closet. The bed was at the top left corner facing the small TV on a chest of drawers next to an old sink with a mirror above it. There was a table against the right wall with a microwave and a camping stove on it, and two chairs. The window was next to the door with bars on the outside. Jane sat on the bed while Mallory went to the sink to brush her teeth and try to brush her hair.

- "You're not supposed to be punished?" the blonde girl stated.

- "Cass' doesn't know I'm here," Jane answered.

- "I know. So, why are you here?"

- "I can't just want to see you!?"

- "You know I work late on Friday night."

- "I know...It's just...I'm too angry!"

- "Why?" Mallory frowned.

- "Cass' wants me to go back to school!"

- "And? It's a good thing!"

- "A good thing!? It's a shitty idea!"

- "A shitty idea!?" Mallory got angry. "Jane, I wished I had an opportunity like that!"

- "Then go to school for me! I would prefer having sex for a living!"

- "Oh no, Jane, you don't want it! Believe me, you don't want it! I'm not having sex, okay!? I'm just an object that people pay to cum before going back home! Nothing in this is pleasant! Take this idea out of your mind!"

- "Okay, okay! Relax!"

Jane loudly sighed with her mouth before laying on the bed. Mallory gave up with her hair and joined her friend on the bed.

- "How is your aunt?"

- "Tired and angry! She hates me."

- "She doesn't. But you robbed a store! She has all the reasons to be mad at you!"

- "Only because Joyce recognized me. She doesn't know for the other ones."

- "You'll have problems one day. You'll finish in jail!"

- "At least, I would see my sister!" Jane stated, getting out of the bed.

- "You're leaving?" Mallory frowned.

- "Yeah! Cass' already lectured me; I don't need you to do the same!"

- "School is not a bad thing!"

- "I hate school!"

- "It's the end of the year! You'll go for two months!"

- "It's too long! Bye!"

- "Yeah. Bye. And forget this idea of prostitution!"

Jane slammed the door behind her. If she wanted to be lectured, she would have asked Cassandra to do it! Jane still had time before going home, Cassandra was working all day long. So, she wandered in the town and finished in a squat where some of her friends were hanging around. Three of them were there, sitting in old sofas and armchairs and playing poker. She saluted them before sitting with them.

- "We're robbing another store this afternoon. You're in?" a blonde girl with long dreadlocks asked.

- "Nope. Not today. Cass' is on my back since she discovered I hit her friend."

- "Why did you tell her!?"

- "I didn't! And they have no proof anyway!"

- "You're crazy," she chuckled. "You want some?"

The blonde girl held out a spliff in direction of the brunette who accepted with no hesitation. Jane took a long puff before sinking in the sofa, enjoying the sensation of lightness travelling her body. She stayed the entire day with them, smoking and playing, feeling good. But she didn't want Cass' to be angrier at her than she was, so she left the squat to go back home. She quickly took a shower before taking a nap on the couch.

Someone lightly shook her. She grumbled before opening her eyes to see her aunt above her.

- "You're already there?"

- "It's 9pm," Cassandra answered.

Jane wide opened her eyes before turning to the glass door and seeing the dark.

- "Um...I had been sleeping more than I thought!"

- "I guess, yeah."

The brunette looked at her aunt and noticed a sad smile on her face.

- "Is everything okay?"

- "Yes. Don't worry. You're hungry?"

- "I'm starving!"

- "Choose a movie while I'm bringing the food."

- "Okay!"

Jane sat up straight while Cassandra went to the kitchen. She was feeling sad because she knew Jane went outside while she was at work. It would have been okay if she hadn't smoked weed. But she knew she couldn't be always on her back. And, at least, she was there now and not who knew where! She tried to stay positive. She joined Jane on the couch with the Chinese food, knowing Jane loved it. Jane wasn't mean, she was just disturbed. Cassandra hoped that going back to school would keep her on the right track.