Chapter 48 : Barbecue

Beverly invited all her friends to spend the day at home. Now that she was living in a big house with nice persons inside, she was happy to share this with everyone. They all came for lunch, eating a barbecue that the boys decided to take in charge while the girls were sitting at the table or sunbathing. Gabrielle was laying down in the deckchair, not far from Bev, Jane, Max, and Clara who were at the table, playing cards. Jane was less angry than when she saw Max and Gary together at the diner. She thought it was unfair to be mad at Max for being in love with someone else than her. So, she tried to make some effort to not completely explode every time she was with them. And she was still preoccupied by the bills growing and the end of the summer which was coming quickly. They still hadn't paid their depts with the owner, Jane hoped he would change his mind and realized they were doing everything to stay here.

- "Abigail sent me a message about Derek," Clara said.

- "Really? What did she say?" Bev asked.

- "He got out of hospital yesterday. He doesn't remember what happened and is traumatized by it. And his penis is covered of scars, the doctors don't know if he will be able to be hard ever again."

- "Good," Jane intervened. "When you don't know how to use it properly, you shouldn't be able to use it at all."

- "What do you mean?" Clara frowned.

- "There was not written "rapist" on him for nothing!"

- "...What? Who told you that?"

Jane realized that the cops probably didn't reveal this information to the people he interrogated.

- "...Jim told Cass' and I heard it", Jane lied.

- "Jim?" Bev frowned.

- "The chief of the Police, he is friend with my aunt."

- "Oh, Hopper! He is Joyce's boyfriend if I'm not wrong," Max said.

- "But, even if this word was written on him, it doesn't mean it's true, right?" Clara continued.

The three girls turned to Jane who didn't answer. But her eyes meant everything.

- "You know something we don't, am I wrong?" Bev said.

- "I saw him putting some drugs in a girl's drink," Jane answered.

- "Really!? What an asshole!"

- "Yeah. But the girl didn't drink it. I swiped his drink with the girl's and dropped the girl's drink, which was his, on the floor to be sure he would give up his idea."

- "Oh my god!" Max exclaimed, grabbing Jane's arm. "You dropped my drink that night!"

- "Yep."

- "Why didn't you tell the Police?" Bev asked.

- "I didn't want to be a suspect. I've enough problems like that."

- "But he could have been arrested for trying to abuse Max!"

- "No, he wouldn't! It would have been my words against his, and, believe me, I have no chance against him! He got what he deserved, it's all that matters."

- "I agree," Gabrielle intervened.

Bev and Clara turned in direction of the black-haired girl while Max was still under shocked and holding Jane's arm. But the brunette brutally freed herself, not wanting to have physical interactions with her.

- "I mean, yeah, you're not tired of those jocks who think they can do what the hell they want just because they run fast with a ball in their hands? Or because their parents are rich and have lots of influence? I'm pretty sure if he was arrested for rape, he would have a small tap on his cheek and nothing else. Like that, he won't hurt anyone," Gabrielle stated. "And maybe he had already hurt someone, and this person just took revenge. I won't mind if they don't find who did that."