Chapter 41 : The abandoned house

Beverly, Max, Will, Lucas, Dustin, and Mike were spending the day together. They were still under shocked about Derek. It was scary to know that someone was able to do something like that. It could have been any of them! They were hoping that this person was already far, they didn't need more problems. But to forget about this, they decided to go to the abandoned house. There were many horror stories about this house and going inside was like an attraction for the town. Some people were telling that a murder happened, that the husband killed his wife and ate her body, others were telling that a pedophile was living there before shooting his head. The kinds of stories which were intriguing enough a group of teens to go in the house.

- "You all know we're breaking in, right?" Bev said.

- "...Yes, we know! It's abandoned! It's probably already empty because of all the people who entered before us," Dustin answered.

- "It doesn't mean it is right!"

- "If you don't feel it, you don't have to, you know. You can wait for us," Max softly said.

- "No, it's fine. I wanna be sure you won't do something stupid!"

The friends chuckled, Bev rolling her eyes. They opened the small old gate and entered the garden. The grass was yellow and dry when there was some. They reached the door and entered with no difficulties. The place was dark and dirty. Some rats were running on the ground, trying to hide from the visitors. Dustin and Mike switched their flashlights to have a better view. The place was a mess, but it wasn't surprising knowing all the visits that happened in this house, without forgetting about the hobos who had lived there for months before being kicked by the Police. The first floor was not interesting for the teens. They found old cans and empty bottles, but nothing more. They went upstairs and discovered two bedrooms and one bathroom. There was a creepy painting in the corridor of a woman with lots of make-up and a croquet mallet in her hands. They went in the bedroom which looked like to be the kid's. Bev didn't want to search. Even if it was abandoned, some people used to live here, and there could still be some of their private stuff here. The other teens watched a bit around and were a bit disappointed. Max stopped before the others and joined Bev with something she found.

- "There is nothing except this deflated ball," Max said.

Bev nodded before taking the blue ball. When she looked closely at it, she saw a big hole and managed to recognize Dumbo under the dirt. Bev had a weird shiver. She was sure to know who used to live here. Without thinking, she put it in her bag under the surprised eyes of Max.

- "Um, well, I guess you can take it. Nobody is gonna miss it."

- "Someone is already missing it," Bev answered.

Max didn't say anything. In fact, she was a little bit disturbed by this house. Nobody except her noticed the locks on the doors, out of the bedroom. She had the same on her own door and knew that some kids had lived abused here, just like her with Neil. She was hoping they were okay and managed to get out of this place before it was too late. Now that they finished their visit, they left the house, disappointed to not have found something interesting.

As planned, Bev left them. She didn't have news about Jane since the party and was so worried that she sent a message to Cassandra. The woman told her about Dany, and Bev felt the need to show her support to her friend. She didn't come to the cremation, but she knew there was a little reunion in a house of a member of Cassandra's family after it. She took the bus and, after thirty minutes of ride, arrived in front of a cute white house. Bev took a deep breathing and rang. A man opened the door and frowned when he saw her. Bev froze, feeling stupid for coming, until Cassandra noticed her and came to her. The woman took the redhead in her arms for a warm hug.

- "I'm sorry for your loss," Bev said.

- "Thank you."

Cassandra broke the hug and smiled to her, trying to hide her pain.

- "Thank you for coming. Jane is upstairs."

- "Okay, thank you."

Bev separated from the others and went to the stairs. When she arrived at the angle, she turned on her left to continue her ascent and saw Jane sitting on the last step, staring into space. The brunette felt a presence and looked up. The two girls met each other's eyes without saying anything. Jane didn't even react. Bev could see all her pain in her red puffy eyes. The redhead finished her ascent and sat next to Jane. She wrapped her arms around Jane's right arm and placed her head on her shoulder. They stayed like that a moment, without talking, sometimes hearing Jane sniffing. Bev didn't know what to say. She knew nothing could cheer her friend up. She wasn't here for that anyway. She just wanted to support her in this hard moment. Bev noticed some light excitation coming from downstairs, but Jane didn't react, so she stayed silent. They heard someone coming in the stairs and saw a tall young woman with short messy blonde hair. Jane wide opened her eyes and slowly stood, not believing it. Constance was standing there, with no glass to separate them. The two sisters were as shocked. Constance went upstairs and took her sister in her arms for a tight hug. Jane immediately burst into tears, making cry her sister.

- "I thought I would never be able to hug you again," Jane cried.

- "I know, I know," Constance sniffed. "I'm happy to see you."

- "Me too...I feel so lonely here...I feel like I won't make it..."

- "You will, Jane. You're the strongest person I know. Don't give up. I need you with me."

- "I need you too..."

Bev felt the tears coming in her eyes. She preferred letting the two sisters enjoying their reunion and went downstairs. She saw Hopper and Joyce talking with Cassandra and shyly approached them. The woman was crying too. She was missing Constance every day too and being able to see her out of a jail was like a dream for her. She couldn't wait for the day of her release to welcome her in her apartment.

- "Hey, sweetie, are you okay?" Cassandra asked with a concerned tone, noticing Bev's wet eyes.

- "Yeah, yeah. I'm fine. It's just...seeing my friends crying makes me cry, that's all."

Cassandra softly smiled and gently caressed the young girl's cheek. Bev stayed silent while the adults were talking together. After a few minutes, Constance and Jane showed up and joined them. Hopper was surprised to be hugged by Jane but warmly hugged her too.

- "Thank you," Jane sniffed.

- "No problem," he smiled.

The brunette broke the hug with him before hugging her sister again. Even if this day had been awful for Jane, having Constance with her in this complicated situation made it bearable. Sadly, she had to go back in jail in a few hours.