Chapter 56 : Confession

As promised, Joyce took Jane to see a doctor. He checked her and made analysis, and, luckily, Jane had no STD. He just advised her to take some rest. She felt a weight leaving her body. She knew it would have made things worse if she had been sick. Now that she knew she was okay, she joined Mallory for her first sonogram. The blonde girl was trying to find a new job, but it was hard, some bosses used to come at "The Dirty Men" and had already seen her stripping. She was refused all the time. It was demoralizing. They arrived at the hospital and waited for their turn.

- "You think I should have aborted?" Mallory asked.

- "Are you gonna ask me this until I answer?"

- "Yes."

- "I think you made your own decision. Going to this creepy woman's house helped you to know what you really wanted."

- "And you think what I want is a good thing?"

- "Yes."

- "Why?"

- "Because you were not happy. And now, knowing there is someone growing in your uterus, you have hope. You're trying to find another job to not have to suffer the others' stupidities, you'll have a better salary, and you'll find a better place for you and little you. You're a strong woman, you'll make it. I know that," Jane smiled.

Mallory softly smiled to Jane, touched by her, and placed her head on her friend's shoulder. After half an hour, the midwife called them. The two teens followed the woman to the consulting room. Mallory laid down in the hospital bed bare belly, and Jane sat next to her. The midwife covered the belly with the gel before doing the sonogram.

- "It's too early to know its gender, but it's in good health," the woman said. "Here, you can see it."

She turned the screen in direction of the two girls. Jane stood and wide opened her eyes, amazed by it, while Mallory was holding tight Jane's hand and letting go some tears of happiness.

- "You're sure now?" Jane asked.

- "Yes," Mallory answered with a higher voice than usual.

The woman stood and began to print it before getting out of the room to give them some time. Jane took Mallory in her arms, enabling her friend to let go her pressure once and for all.

- "You'll be an amazing mother," Jane said.

- "I hope you're right," Mallory sniffed. "Thank you for being here."

Jane rubbed Mallory's arms and kissed the top of her head. The midwife came back with the print of the baby and gave it to them. After that, they left the hospital and went to Mallory's apartment.

- "Do you think it's a boy or a girl?" the blonde girl asked, looking at the picture.

- "I don't know."

- "Yeah. I'll love it anyway. I already do."

Jane softly smiled and sat next to Mallory, looking at the picture too.

- "We went a long way, right?" the blonde girl said.

- "Yeah."

- "I'll have a baby, and you, you're falling in love."

- "What!? I'm not falling in love!" Jane got upset.

- "Yeah, right," Mallory chuckled.

- "I can't, I can't fall in love!"

- "Jane, you're a hopeless romantic. You just forbid yourself to go farther."

- "I'm just...I don't think I'm made for this."