Chapter 21 : Night talk

Jane hadn't reappeared after that fight. Bev had spent the rest of the day with Cassandra. Well, the redhead was more being depressed in Jane's bed than anything, but, at least, she wasn't alone. She was feeling bad for taking Jane's room like that, but the brunette didn't really seem to care. She wasn't even here anyway. She fell asleep crying, once again, but, in the middle of the night, a door slamming woke her up. She began to wonder if she was back to her own room, and that the person who slammed her door was her father. She froze. Her body began to shake, and her breathing was becoming faster. He couldn't be here, it wasn't possible. She heard the door of the room squeaking and felt her heart racing. She was stuck. It was happening again. A black shape was standing at the door. The shape slowly approached the bed, trying to not make too much noise before bending above her. The smell of the alcohol made panic the redhead. Bev began to scream of terror and slap the shape without stopping.

- "Stop! Hills! It's me! Jane!"

The brunette crouched and used her arms to protect her while the redhead needed a few seconds to realize it wasn't her father.

- "WHAT THE FUCK!? JANE! DON'T EVER DO THAT AGAIN!" Bev cried.

- "I wanted to know if you were asleep or not!"

- "YOU SCARED THE SHIT OUT OF ME!"

- "I'm sorry, I'm sorry! I didn't wanna scare you..."

Bev looked at Jane before bursting into tears in her knees. She didn't want to live like that again, fearing her father to come back. And now she was assaulting her savior because she was still scared. Jane stood, switched on the light, and sat next to Bev. The redhead looked up at the brunette and noticed more bruises on her.

- "What happened?" Bev sniffed.

- "Another fight," Jane answered.

- "Did you lose?"

- "No. I won."

- "Oh..."

- "What?"

- "Nothing...I'm glad you're here..."

- "Cass' is at work. She didn't want you to stay alone," the brunette explained.

- "You wouldn't have come back if it wasn't for me?"

- "I...probably not."

- "Why? What did you do? You just didn't fight, right?"

- "I saw some...friends."

- "...Sex friends?"

- "You really wanna know?"

- "I wanna clear my head to calm down," the redhead said.

- "Oh, um...well, yes. I saw two sex friends before illegally fighting to win fifty dollars."

- "That's all?"

- "Yeah..."

- "Is it why you drank alcohol?"

Jane looked down and shrugged. She didn't really need to have reasons to drink alcohol. Maybe it was part of the motivation, the feeling of failure. Bev was still feeling her heart racing, so she wrapped her arms around Jane's arm and placed her head on her shoulder.

- "You know your aunt loves you, right?"

- "I know."

- "Don't be too hard with her. She is doing the best she can."

- "I know. I'm not mad at her...Well, in fact, I'm mad at her for hiding me things. I know I can help. It's not legal, barely moral, but I prefer this than being separated of her."