Chapter 78 : Boat

The second day was beginning. Hopper didn't want to lose hope, but he still told his troops to search for a dead body too. He sent a troop of divers to search the bottom of the canal. But Jane was probably in the ocean now because of the current. They found her shoes in the morning. Hopper thought that Jane was probably getting rid of weight to not sink and was hoping it was working. But the cold water had probably frozen her body.

At Cassandra's apartment. The atmosphere was morose. Cassandra was sitting at her kitchen unit island, staring into space. Mallory was trying to continue her life with a pain in her heart. She was taking care of her baby and still looking for a job. She found one. She was replacing a waitress who hadn't come working for two days now and wasn't answering them anymore. She was working there until the waitress came back. Mary proposed to babysit her baby while she was at work. Like that, the woman could keep an eye on Cassandra too.

As Mallory was at work, Mary came to the other woman's apartment with Emily. The young girl was playing with the kitty cat while Lana was asleep in her cradle. Mary was preparing something to eat for the lunch, but she decided to try to talk to Cassandra. She placed her hand on the woman's hand and warmly smiled to her. Cassandra lightly moved her head, still staring into space.

-"If you need anything, you just need to ask, okay? Do you need anything?" Mary softly asked.

-"...Need...I need Jane to be alive," Cassandra cried.

The woman burst into tears, breaking Mary's heart. The blonde woman took her friends in her arms and tried to comfort her the best she could. Mary couldn't imagine the pain she was feeling. She was praying hard to never be in her situation.

Joyce was at her house. She had spent the last two days looking for Jane too. But Hopper forced her to take some rest before she collapsed. She accepted, wanting to see her sons too. When Will got out of his room, Joyce immediately took him in her arms. The boys frowned but accepted the hug.

-"How are you?" he asked.

-"I'm happy to see you."

She broke the hug, warmly smiled to him, and lightly tried to brush his hair which annoyed the young boy.

-"Um...there is still no news about Jane?"

-"No, sweetie...I'm here to take a nap and I go back to search her."

-"Okay...Do you think it's too late? That she is already...?"

-"I hope not."

Joyce kissed her son's cheek and took him again in her arms for a tight hug. She was realizing how lucky she was to still have all of them with her.

After her nap, Joyce returned to the police station. Hopper was calling every police station of the country to have as much backup as possible. Joyce entered the office in silence, waiting for him to finish his call. When he hung up, he rubbed his face and loudly sighed.

-"Nothing?" Joyce asked.

-"No. They are all searching a cadaver."

-"We should be on the field too."

-"We will. I was just waiting for you. I'll ask my lieutenant to take care of the calls."

Hopper and Joyce stood and went to his car. They drove along the canal to reach the port. When they arrived, they were surprised to see Cassandra there too, talking with a captain. At least the woman seemed better than the day before. Maybe she wanted to have news about the situation. They got out of the car and joined them.

-"Is everything okay?" Hopper frowned.

-"I asked them to take me with them," Cassandra answered.

-"Cassandra, maybe you should take some rest—"

-"Take some rest for what!? It won't bring my Jane back. If there is someone who can find her, it's me. I've taken my decision, and they accepted. I'm leaving. I'll come back only with her. Dead or alive."

-"We come with you," Joyce said.

-"No. If she comes back in another way, she will need someone she knows. Bye."

-"Wait!" Hopper intervened.

The man ran to his car before coming back to her. He held her out a walkie-talkie that she took.

-"Channel 11. Keep us in touch."

-"Thank you."

Cassandra nodded to them before going on the boat with three sailors, two policemen, and a doctor. Hopper and Joyce looked at their friends leaving on the boat, hoping for her to end this. In a good way, if possible.

Beverly was feeling useless. She tried to call Max, but the girl cut every contact with everyone since they found Jane's leather jacket. She couldn't stay at home without doing anything, she decided to hang out. By curiosity, she went to the coffee shop where Max was supposed to work. When she went to the counter, she had the surprise to see Mallory here.

-"Oh, hey," the blonde said with a sad smile.

-"Hey. I didn't know you were working here."

-"I'm just replacing someone."

-"Yeah, it's probably Max."

-"Oh...How is she?"

-"I don't know. She doesn't answer me when I call her and when I knock at her door. It...it must have been hard to see..."

Mallory looked down and nodded. Bev took a deep breath and wiped the small tears in her eyes before asking:

-"How is Lana?"

-"Oh, she is okay. She sleeps, she eats, and she sleeps again. A dream life!"

-"Yeah, it's a good thing."

-"I'm lucky. Jane...she proposed me to live with them. It's a good place, and her neighbor is babysitting her. I just...it's different now...I miss her..."

-"I miss her too..."

Beverly grabbed Mallory's hand and squeezed, wanting to give her some strength. The two girls lightly smiled to each other, crossing their fingers for Jane. Nothing would be the same without Jane now.