Chapter 84 : Mall

At the end of the month, Hopper went to Cassandra's home to take off Constance's electronic tag. The young blonde woman was relieved and scared at the same time. She knew nothing about the real life, and she was scared to fail, she was scared it wasn't a life for her. She would have to find a job, to meet new people, and things like that. She didn't know if she was ready. Luckily, Jane and Cassandra were here to help her. They proposed Constance to hang in town to show her the place. The blonde woman was kinda excited. She was wondering how the place they had been living was looking like.

- "Are you ready?" Cassandra asked.

- "I think, yeah," Constance answered with a shaking voice.

- "Don't worry, we won't take public transit, and if you don't feel comfortable, we go back home, okay?"

- "Okay, thanks."

They needed to do some shopping anyway. Constance didn't have clothes of her size as Jane was a little bit smaller than her. Jane joined them in the living-room, holding her baby cat in her arms.

- "My clothes look better on you, it's upsetting," the brunette said.

- "Don't worry, I'll have an entire new wardrobe. You'll be able to look like a trash bag again."

Jane chuckled and playfully pushed her sister which made her and Cassandra laugh. They left the apartment to go to their car. The two sisters had the same envy to sit in the passenger seat and both tried to open the door at the same time.

- "Girls, calm down!" Cassandra chuckled.

- "But it's always me who sit here!" Jane lightly grumbled.

- "You've been sitting here for years! It's my turn now! And I'm the oldest, I should be the one sitting here!" Constance answered with an upset tone.

- "Fine!"

Jane sat at the back of the car, letting her sister in the passenger seat. Constance turned to Jane and smiled to her, making her sigh and smile, knowing it was ridiculous to be mad for a seat. Once everyone buckled up, Cassandra drove away in direction of the mall. When Constance entered the high building, she felt impressed and very small.

- "You okay?" Cassandra asked.

- "Yes! This is pretty cool!" Constance smiled.

Cassandra smiled and grabbed Constance's arm to be sure she wouldn't be lost. Well, she was twenty-two years old, but she was still her baby for her. They went to three clothes stores. Constance tried some jeans, tee-shirts, and jackets and found some good ones for her. She was discovering her own style and her own tastes. Jane tried some clothes too, but she didn't really need tee-shirts or jeans. She needed new shoes as she ruined hers when she was under water. In the store, they met someone they were not expecting.

- "Hey, Robin!" Cassandra smiled.

Constance and Jane frowned at each other before recognizing the nurse of the prison.

- "Hey," the teen answered. "How are you?"

- "Wait, you know each other?" Constance asked.

- "Yes, well, I already knew her when you were in prison, but she is working with me now," the aunt explained.

- "You resigned from the prison?"

- "I did."

- "Why? You were missing your favorite prisoner?" Constance joked.

- "Maybe."

Constance lost her smile, wide opened her eyes, and became red, not expecting this answer. Jane muffled her laugh, annoying Constance who gently tapped her.

- "Hey, Jane. I'm happy to see you're feeling better," Robin said.

- "Yeah, um...thank you for taking care of me."

Robin gently caressed Jane's cheek before talking again to Constance and Cassandra. Jane went to the shoes section and met two people she knew very well.

- "Yo!"

- "Jane!" Bev and Max exclaimed.

- "What are you doing here?" Bev asked.

- "We're doing some shopping for Constance."

- "She can go out your apartment?"

- "No, she can't, but we like living risky!"

- "Pfff, silly girl!"

- "Your question was a bit...stupid," Max stated.

- "I preferred when you were not dating each other."

- "Really?" Jane smirked.

- "No, you're my favorite couple!"

Bev wrapped her arms around her two friends for a tight hug with them. As Constance and Cassandra were still talking with Robin, Jane walked with Max and Bev in the store. Max lightly smiled when she saw a tee-shirt with Dumbo on it.

- "You want it?" Jane asked.

- "Why not? I mean, I am Dumbo!" Max answered.

- "Yeah, you're my Dumbo."

Max blushed before taking the tee-shirt to try it. She validated it, she loved it now. As Jane needed a new pair of shoes, Bev and Max tried to find the perfect pair. They took six boxes and brought them to the brunette. While Jane was trying the second pair, she asked:

- "Do you wanna come to my place next Saturday night?"

- "Me?" Max asked.

- "Of course, you. Well, without offending you, Bev."

- "If you were not dating, I would be offended, but I understand that you need to spend some time alone!"

- "Well, I'm free next Saturday night, so I come. But one condition," Max answered, raising her finger.

- "What is it?" Jane frowned with a smile.

- "I cook."

- "Condition accepted!"

Max chuckled before leaning to kiss Jane. After having tried all the pairs of shoes that the girls chose, Jane kept the second pair. The three girls joined Constance and Cassandra who had finished to talk with Robin.

- "You okay?" Jane asked.

- "Robin asked her out for a date," Cassandra answered with a wide smile.

- "Oh, that's great! And you didn't collapse?"

- "I accepted, idiot," Constance said. "Why did I do that!? I'm not ready for a date!"

- "Nobody is never ready for a date! Even those who didn't grow up in prison!" Max intervened.

- "How...No, I already know the answer."

- "What?"

- "I was gonna ask you how your first date with Jane was, but I remembered how it finished."

- "Yeah..."

Max quickly grabbed Jane's arm and placed her head on her shoulder, not wanting to see her disappear ever again. Jane softly smiled to her and gently touched her nose before kissing the top of her head.

- "You're spending the night with us, next week?" Cassandra asked.

- "Um, yes, if it's not bothering you," Max answered.

- "It's not. Of course not. Plus, you'll be alone with Jane most of the time as I hang out with Joyce and Mary, and Constance has a date."

- "Please, don't remind me this!" the young woman grumbled.

- "It will be okay. I know that. Beverly, you know you're always welcomed at home."

- "I know, but they need some time together. We'll do something together another day," Bev answered.

Cassandra warmly smiled and nodded. Bev and Max finished their shopping with Jane and her family, enjoying this moment with them. Max was glad Cassandra and Constance were liking her. Spending time with them was pleasant, she was feeling like if she was part of the family.