Chapter 79 : Nightmares

Max hadn't moved from her bed. She was laying down in Jane's side, her leather jacket in her arms and The Neighborhood in her ears. She didn't know if it was dark or light outside. She didn't care. She closed her eyes, trying to forget about her pain.

The entrance door slammed. The redhead started, not understanding. She looked around, lost, when she saw the door of her bedroom opening. Jane entered with a wide smile and threw her jacket on the bed.

- "Hey," the brunette said.

- "Hey you. How are you?" Max answered.

- "I'm cold."

- "You're cold?"

- "Yes."

- "Come here. Let me warm you."

Jane smirked before laying down in the bed. When Max wrapped her arms around the brunette, she disappeared, and the darkness invaded her room.

Max started in her bed and looked around. It was just a nightmare. She laid down and cried again, not supporting the pain in her heart. It was too hard. Things were finally okay; they would have been happy together. They should have been happy together.

It was the end of her day. She was counting the bills of the day when she saw someone outside the coffee shop. Jane was smoking her cigarette outside, waiting for her to finish. Max smiled. She was feeling safer when Jane was with her. The butterflies began to dance in her belly. She just wanted to hold her hand right now. She quickly finished before going outside to join Jane.

- "You're not late today," Max joked.

- "I'm never late!"

The two girls chuckled before walking away in direction of Max's apartment. They were both looking at the stars, Jane showing her every constellation she was seeing. The redhead was hanging onto Jane's every word. She was so passionate by stars, and it was fascinating to listen to her. She wished she could listen to her like that every day. They arrived in front of Max's building.

- "Do you wanna come in?" Max proposed.

- "I can't."

- "Why?"

- "I'm cold."

Max frowned. If Jane was cold, why was she soaked?

- "Um, I have some blankets if you need."

- "I can't."

- "I don't understand."

- "He was mad at you, not at me," Jane said with an upset.

- "...What?"

- "I'm cold and I can't breathe anymore! Because of you!"

- "No..."

- "Where are you!? What are you doing here!? This is your fault! You know it! But you're doing nothing for me! I need your help! I'm drowning! I'm fucking drowning! Do you know what it means!?"

- "Please, stop..."

- "I'm fucking dead right now!"

- "NOOOOOOOOO!"

Max quickly sat up straight on her bed, panting. She was panicking and was struggling to breathe correctly. She got out of her bed, fell on the floor, and crawled to her bathroom. Once there she drank some water and tried to calm down. It was her fault. Neil was here for her, not for Jane. Jane was dead now because of her, and her soul was here to haunt her for the rest of her life.

- "Are you gonna cry the rest of the day?"

Max started and saw Jane's reflection in her mirror. But when she turned around, there was no one.

- "Fuck, I'm hallucinating now!"

- "Are you?"

Max started again. Jane was still in her mirror. It wasn't real. None of this was real.

- "Go away," Max said.

- "Why? I thought you were missing me."

- "Yes, I do miss you! But the real you, not your ghost!

- "A ghost? Are you sure I am a ghost?"

Max looked at Jane through her mirror. She had the appearance of a cadaver. But it was Jane. It was her soft look and her cute little smile. Max held out her hand in direction of the brunette without cutting the look with her in her mirror. She put it on Jane's cheek and felt her. She was cold and wet. The brunette placed her dead hand on Max's. The redhead began to cry again.

- "I don't believe in ghost."

- "Me neither," Max sniffed.

- "I know. I'm not real. I'm—"

- "Don't say it. Please."

- "I have to go."

- "No, please! Stay with me! I need you with me!"

- "I can't."

The brunette leaned to Max's ear and murmured:

- "See you soon."

Jane stepped back and walked away.

- "NO!"

Max turned around, but Jane wasn't there. She looked again in her mirror, but there was no one. Max felt the frustration growing. She punched her sink and grabbed her mirror before throwing it on the ground which broke in pieces. Max slid against her wall and burst into tears, not supporting the pain inside her anymore.