Chapter 36 : Friends

The next day, the terrible headache that Jane had woke her up. She was always impressed to finish in her bed when she was drunk. She rubbed her face and felt something scratching her face. She saw the bandages and remembered she got into a fight the day before. It was blurry, but she was sure she had won. She looked outside and realized it was barely the morning. She got out of her bed and stumbled in her bedroom, feeling dizzy. Once her view back, she noticed her drawing on her desk and began to stress. She remembered the conversation she had with Cassandra and hoped her aunt was not thinking she was crazy and needed to be committed. She got out of her bedroom and saw Cassandra sitting at the kitchen island unit. The woman smiled to her niece and made a movement to tell her to come closer.

- "How did you sleep?" the aunt asked.

- "I had better nights," Jane yawned.

- "Do you mind if we talk?"

- "I-I won't kill myself if it's what you wanna talk about."

- "I know. But, yesterday, you told me that you were unable to change. I thought we could talk about that."

- "I was drunk, I probably said stupid things."

- "You didn't, Jane. You called for help, and I'm here to help you."

- "I don't think it's the right moment to change," Jane said.

- "I'm not forcing you. But, I thought that you could write down what you wanna change, and we could see how to do that, what do you think?"

Jane didn't answer immediately. She knew she wanted to change, but, for now, her bad habits were paying the bills, and she couldn't take the risk to be separated of Cassandra. But she appreciated her concern and her encouragement. At least her aunt still had hope for her.

- "I'll do that. But not now," the brunette said.

- "Okay," Cassandra smiled.

- "Um, I've this for the bills."

Jane searched her pockets and held out a few bills to the woman who frowned and took them.

- "We need to talk about this too."

- "Not now. Later, maybe."

- "Jane—"

- "I have to get ready for school."

Cassandra sighed and gave up. She knew Jane was clearly not doing legal things, but she hoped she wasn't taking stupid risks just for a few bills. The brunette quickly left the living-room to take a shower and get ready for school. Cassandra put some cream on her niece's hands before kissing her cheek and letting her go. As Jane had some time, she decided to walk to clear her head. School was almost over, and the summer break was beginning. She would have more time to find new way to have money easily. She could fight more or find more clients. For now, she just had three clients. She was sure there were more people like her in the town. When she arrived in front of her school, she saw Max sitting on the steps, waiting for her to arrive. The brunette immediately smiled. She was feeling good with her, it was better between them than at the beginning. Jane sat next to her with a smile which strangely made blush the redhead.

- "Do you sleep sometimes?" Max asked.

- "Not that much," Jane shrugged. "Why? I'm ugly?"

- "No, but you have big dark circles."

- "Yeah, I know."

- "You fought again?" the redhead rhetorically stated, showing the bandages with her chin.

- "I guess. I won 115 dollars; it was worth it."

- "If you say so."

- "Why do you even care? I'm just a Goblin."

Max had an amused sigh.

- "Yeah, but who am I going to mock if you're not here anymore?" Max smiled.

- "You would miss me?" the brunette frowned.

- "I...I got used to you. It would be different without you. I mean, we're becoming friend, aren't we?"

Jane felt a nice sensation inside her. She was always surprised when people were telling her that they were her friends. Especially when it was someone who was hating her at first. Jane smiled and nodded, making smile the other girl.

- "Now that we're friend, I'm gonna ask you a question," Max said.

- "I'm listening."

- "Do you really listen to The Neighbourhood or it was just a song like that?"

Jane chuckled, not expecting a question like that.

- "I like many songs of them, but Ms. Jenkins thought it was the most appropriate for a dance."

- "I understand. I like this song, so it was fine. You prefer Linkin Park or The Neighbourhood?"

- "Oh, um, Linkin Park forever. I grew up with their music, and I can relate to many songs of them. Even if I relate to some of The Neighbourhood too."

- "Really? Which ones?"

- "Um, well...the first one where I recognized myself was Staying up," Jane said.

- "Because of your nightmares?"

- "Yeah...Bev told you?"

- "Yes, she talks a lot about you. And she has nightmares too, and so have I," Max explained.

- "Oh, sorry to hear that."

- "It's fine. I'm moving this week-end, I hope it will disappear with time."

- "It won't."

- "I know. Let me dream."

- "Sorry," Jane pouted. "Do you relate to their songs too?"

- "Some, yeah. Like Afraid. Sometimes I'm wondering if people will not just replace me by someone better than me. I guess it's why I didn't like you. I know how Bev is, she likes going to new people. I'm always worried she could prefer them over me."

- "Well, I think she prefers me over you."

Max playfully pushed Jane which made her laugh.

- "No, for real, I don't think people can prefer me over anyone else. I'm just a strange friend," Jane said.

- "Yeah, it's true, you're strange. But you seem to be a good friend. Bev trusts you. You saved her."

- "I just...kidnapped her."

- "It sounds so awful like that," the redhead laughed.

The two girls kept talking about everything and nothing, not realizing that they didn't smoke at all this time, like if it didn't matter at the moment. It was just two friends enjoying each other's presence, trying to forget all their problems. But Max couldn't stop blushing while she was talking to Jane. She knew her hormones were fucked up lately. It would pass, she was sure of that.