Chapter 7 : The guy in the blue car

Jane woke up in a start. She was sweating and breathing heavily, trying to remember where she was. It was only when she took her phone to bring some light that she remembered. Loren was sleeping next to her. The blonde girl didn't even hear Jane moving, and, maybe, screaming. The brunette hit the bed of frustration which, this time, woke the blonde girl next to her.

- "Mmmh? What? What's wrong? What's happening?" Loren mumbled.

Loren rubbed her eyes and tried to open them, but she managed to open only one.

- "Jane? What's wrong?"

- "Nothing. I'm fine."

- "You don't look okay."

- "I said I'm fine!" Jane got angry.

- "Okay, okay. Relax. (Loren grabbed her phone) What!? It's only 5!? God! Jane! I've been sleeping for only one hour!"

- "Don't talk to me like if I woke you up on purpose!"

Loren loudly sighed of annoyance and lay down again, pulling the blanket on her side. As Jane didn't want to sleep again and as she needed some air, she got out of the bed, put her clothes on, grabbed her bag, and left the bedroom. Jane went downstairs where some girls were still dancing on the scene while the men were whether dead drunk or not hiding their lust anymore. She went to the scene to ask:

- "Hey, Kathy! Is Mallory still here?"

- "She is in the backstage, darling."

- "Thanks."

Kathy sent a kiss to Jane with her hand and winked while Jane went to the backstage. She walked between the "love rooms" where clients were waiting for a prostitute to satisfy them, raised the red curtain, and reached the backstage. There were less people than when she arrived the day before. Two girls were talking in a corner. She went to Mallory's chair, but there was only her bag. She frowned at the two girls who showed the door with their fingers. Jane went outside. The sky was just beginning to wake up, barely lighting the town. The odor of the dumpsters got her dizzy, but she managed to recognize the shape of her friend thanks to the light of her cigarette. Jane approached her and realized that she had cried by seeing her red puffy eyes and her make-up that ran on her cheeks. The brunette gently sat next to her, not wanting to scare her.

- "You're pale. You haven't slept?" Mallory asked in a low voice.

- "Um, no...I had a nightmare."

- "I'm sorry."

- "Is...is everything okay?"

Mallory shrugged before taking a puff of her cigarette. Jane noticed that she was shaking, so she took off her leather jacket and softly wrapped it around Mallory's shoulders.

- "Why don't you take a chamber here? You wouldn't have to walk in the dark every day to go back home," Jane stated.

- "I don't wanna hear my friends or even you moan while I try to sleep."

- "...It's fair."

Mallory took a last puff before crushing her cigarette on the ground and throwing it in the dumpster. She stood, went inside to take her bag, and joined Jane outside. They were about to leave when Mallory stopped walking and looked at a blue car with terrified eyes.

- "What's wrong?" Jane frowned.

- "This guy again! He keeps following me, I told him I didn't want to have him as a client! Jane, he scares me," Mallory said with a shaking voice.

The brunette didn't answer, but she hated seeing her like that. She calmly opened her bag, put leather gloves on her hands, and gave her bag to her friend. Jane winked to Mallory and walked in direction of the car. The anger grew immediately. The man inside the car barely had the time to realize that she was here for him that she punched his window which exploded in million pieces, grabbed his shirt, and pulled him out of his car by the window. The man was older than her and stronger than her, but the element of surprise totally shocked him. She blocked him on the ground and began to punch his creepy face again and again, ignoring the pain in her hands.

- "STAY AWAY FROM HER, ASSHOLE! SHE SAID NO! WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU!? DIRTY PIG!"

Mallory tried to intervene, but Jane brutally pushed her, making her fall on her butt. The brunette wasn't in a normal state, she didn't even realize that she pushed her friend. All that mattered was punching this guy to punish him. But Mallory didn't give up, knowing Jane had no limits when she was like that. She stood and wrapped her arms around Jane's chest to force her to move away. Jane struggled, but Mallory tightened her grip. The guy was covered of blood, his face was swollen.

- "Next time you come back here, I don't stop her, am I clear!?" Mallory snapped, still holding Jane.

The guy didn't answer. He stood and went in his car before leaving, his tires squealing on the road. Jane looked at the car going away with bulging eyes and a heavy breathing. Mallory forced Jane to sit and crouched in front of her.

- "You okay?" the blonde girl asked.

- "NO! He is an asshole!"

- "He is gone, Jane. Look at me. I'm fine, okay? Calm down, please."

- "He deserved it!"

Mallory didn't answer. She had a sad smile before placing her hands on Jane's cheeks. The brunette imitated Mallory's breathing and managed to reduce her heartbeat.

- "Come on. Let's go get some sleep," Mallory smiled.

Jane nodded. The two girls stood and kept walking in the fresh morning. Jane was still shaking, but she still wrapped her arm around Mallory's shoulders to dissuade someone else to mock her or insult her. Luckily, the streets were not full of people currently. The two girls reached Mallory's apartment with no problems. Mallory entered her apartment while Jane was locking the door behind them.

- "Eat something, you're very pale," Mallory said.

- "I'm fine."

- "No, you're not. Just eat something while I'm taking my shower."

Jane nodded. She took a cereal bar and sat on the bed. Once Mallory cleaned, Jane did the same. When the brunette reappeared in the room, Mallory was laying down in her bed.

- "Come next to me."

- "But-"

- "There is not but. Come take some rest."

- "No, I mean, I would prefer being on the right side of the bed..." Jane shyly said.

- "Oh, okay," Mallory chuckled. "Then, I'm moving."

Mallory went on the left side of the bed while Jane lay down next to Mallory. She was almost ready when she grabbed her bag and took out her Teddy bear from it.

- "You always have Mr. Bear with you?"

- "Yeah, every time I'm sleeping elsewhere."

- "That's cute," Mallory smiled. "You're a good person."

- "No, I'm not."

- "For me, you are."

Jane nodded. She knew she wasn't a good person, but she appreciated that Mallory was thinking it. Maybe she was lying to make her feel better. Well, it was a little bit working. Now that they were in a safe place, the two girls managed to fall asleep, forgetting for a moment their sadness and pain breaking their hearts.