Chapter 42 : Company

Jane had cried the entire night. She didn't know if she cried because of Dany's death or because Constance had to go back in jail. Probably both. She was staring at her wall, holding tight her Teddy bear. Her eyes were stinging because of all the tears which fell that night. She rubbed her eyes before feeling someone moving in her bed.

- "Did you sleep?"

Jane turned around to meet Bev's eyes.

- "By seeing your eyes, I guess you didn't," the redhead pouted.

- "You guessed right. What about you?"

- "It wasn't that bad. Why didn't you wake me up?"

- "I wanted you to take some rest. And I needed to think alone," Jane answered.

- "I could have given you some company."

- "You're already giving me some company. You spent the night with me, I really appreciated it."

- "I wish I could do more."

- "There is nothing to do."

Bev pouted and nodded. The redhead placed her head on Jane's chest and hugged her as it was the only thing she could do. She was happy to see Jane's change, the brunette used to be hesitant about hugging someone, and now, she was hugging Bev with no struggle, enjoying it. But the redhead remembered something. She broke the hug and sat.

- "I have something for you," she said with a serious tone.

- "What is it?" Jane frowned.

Bev got out of the bed to grab her bag while Jane sat in her bed. The redhead joined Jane without getting the object out of her bag.

- "Yesterday, before joining you, I was with the others," Bev began. "We went to the abandoned house on Cherry district..."

Bev was expecting Jane to react, but the brunette was closely listening to her.

- "Um, well, I found this."

The redhead got the blue ball out of her bag and held it out to Jane. The brunette frowned when she took it. She needed a few seconds before understanding what it was. Her eyes wide opened when she saw Dumbo.

- "Where did you find it?" Jane weakly asked.

- "In the abandoned house, I thought it was yours..."

- "What does this house look like?"

- "It's creepy, there is a weird painting with a—"

- "–a woman with too much make-up," Jane finished.

- "...Yeah."

- "I...I've never known where it was."

- "Your house?"

- "Yeah...we were not allowed to leave it. And I wasn't caring enough about the road when Cass' or the cops took us. I always thought we were living in another town, actually."

- "I'm sorry..."

Jane nodded. Her old creepy house was in town and she just discovered it. She was sure Cassandra told her the house was in another town. She wasn't mad at her, Cass' probably said that to let her forget about her past. She didn't care, she didn't want to see this house ever again, it was too full of bad memories and traumas.

- "Thank you for bringing it back to me," Jane said.

- "I thought it could help you, in a way," Bev shrugged.

- "Yeah..."

Bev really hoped she didn't do something stupid. She knew it would bring back some bad memories to Jane, but she really thought it could help her to heal with that day, when her father stabbed it in front of her. The redhead grabbed Jane's hand and squeezed it. The brunette looked at Bev with a small smile which reassured the redhead. As Jane cried all night, she was completely empty now. To not take the risk to produce new tears, she proposed Bev to eat the breakfast while watching TV. Cassandra was already gone for work, which was upsetting Jane. They could have given her a break after their loss, but no, cleaning other people's shit was more important for her bosses than taking some time to mourn.

- "If you wanna play your old video games, you know you can come at home, right? And even if you just wanna see me, you're welcomed," Bev said, taking a big spoon of her cereals.

- "I know, but I have things to do."

- "Like doing illegal fights?"

- "Kinda. The cops discovered we were doing illegal fights at the warehouse, so now, we're looking for a new place."

- "Cool, at least they didn't arrest you."

- "I wasn't there when they discovered the place. But I'm not earning money anymore," Jane explained.

- "We can give you some mone—"

- "No," the brunette sharply cut. "We don't wanna owe anything to anyone."

- "It could be like a gift," Bev said.

- "Don't. We're good. I'll find another way, don't worry."

- "If one day I win millions of dollars, I'll give you the half to let you and Cassandra live in peace like you deserve."

- "You're too pure. I can't wait for you to win millions of dollars!"

- "Me too!"

Bev chuckled which made weakly smile Jane. The redhead was glad to see Jane like that. She was not expecting Jane to be all funny and happy after a day like that, it was normal to be sad, and she was there for that. But the fact that Jane was not completely devastated by this was impressing her. If Bev were in her situation, she would probably depress in her bed until death. The two friends stayed in the couch the entire day, watching cartoons or movies to clear Jane's head. The brunette was relieved to not be alone. She knew herself too well, dark thoughts were beginning to fill her head, and she knew she could lose control of herself when she was like that. Thanks to Bev, she didn't do something stupid.

____________________________________________________
A/N: Another chapter in a few minutes ;)