Chapter 52 : The diner

Max lighted a cigarette to relax. She was walking in the streets with Gary in direction of this much-vaunted diner with her mother, Billy, and Neil. Nothing good could happen. Gary could be an idiot, and Neil wouldn't give him a break. It could go wild at any moment for any reason. After three cigarettes, the couple arrived in front of the entrance of "The Dirty Men". The first thing she thought about when she knew they were having diner here was Jane. She knew the brunette was frequenting the place, and even that her best friend was working there. She hoped she wasn't there; it would make things harder. Max and Gary approached Susan, Billy, and Neil who were already there.

- "It is been a while, Maxine. I thought you forgot about us!" Neil said.

- "I wish I did," she mumbled.

- "What was that!?"

- "Nothing. We should go inside."

Neil crossed his arms but didn't say anything. He didn't need to. She felt her own blood freezing by just his look. Max took a deep breathing before following them inside the bar. They took a few steps and arrived downstairs. Majority of the customers were men around forty or fifty years old, some sitting at the bar or at a table, others around the scene where the girls were dancing and stripping. They sat at a table and waited for a waitress to come for them.

- "So, let's learn a little bit more about your man," Neil said. "I need to be sure you'll treat well my daughter."

- "Step-daughter," Max grumbled with a low voice.

- "What are your projects?"

- "M-my projects?" Gary stuttered.

- "Yes. Your professional project, your personal project with Maxine, things like that. Because you have a plan, right?"

The redhead let Gary trying to handle Neil's questions to look around, hoping all of this would end rapidly. She looked at the girls dancing and recognized Jane's friend, um...Mallory. The blonde girl seemed to focus on what she was doing until she looked in direction of the redhead's table. Mallory's expression changed from indifference to worry. The blonde girl didn't continue her show and get off the scene. At the same moment, Billy left the table to go to "the bathroom", but Max could see him talk to Mallory. She couldn't see very well as there were people. She leaned against her chair and looked around. This was when she saw Jane enter the bar. Damn, Jane was hot when she was walking like that. Max shook her head, thinking it wasn't the moment to think about that.

The brunette saw her best friend be terrified by the blonde man caressing her cheek and saw red. She grabbed a bottle of beer and stopped thinking. She hit the boy's head, breaking the bottle in pieces. Billy barely had the time to understand what was happening that Jane was holding him by his tee-shirt and threw him away, making him fall on the ground.

- "I TOLD YOU TO STAY AWAY FROM HER!" Jane yelled.

The brunette crushed his balls before kicking his face. But the boy didn't want to let a stupid girl humiliate him like that. He quickly stood and tried to punch her. But Jane avoided his fist and punched him in his face. Billy slapped her with the back of his hand before taking this opportunity to punch her in her nose and making her fall by kicking her belly. Max quickly stood of her chair and crouched next to Jane.

- "Are you okay?" the redhead quickly asked.

- "What are you doing here!? This is not a place for you!" Jane answered, wiping the blood running from her nose.

Jane pushed Max and stood before attacking Billy again. When she punched him, the boy lost his balance and fell on a table. People didn't need more signs to participate to the fight. Max was barely understanding the situation that she felt someone punching her. She fell on the ground and crawled under her table to protect herself. Everyone was fighting, throwing bottles or chairs and tables or even bodies everywhere! Max looked around her and realized that Gary and the others were gone. She couldn't believe them, they abandoned her! She saw Neil and Billy participating to the fight, and Jane was with Mallory, punching guys who were too close to them. Well, Mallory seemed to force Jane to get out of the place as the brunette wanted to fight too. Max was a fighter, but fighting against drunk people could be dangerous, those kinds of people didn't have limits. But she refused to stay here. Max took a deep breathing and got out of the table. She grabbed a chair that she broke on a man's back, making him fall, and continued her way. Another man tried to punch her, but she avoided him and uppercut him. She felt the adrenalin increasing and understood better why people were fighting. It was exciting! Max got caught in the game and began to participate to the fight. She punched a few persons before punching without thinking. She was about to hit someone when she realized she was knowing this person.