Chapter 25 : No power

Jane strangely slept well this night. Even if the beginning of her birthday was awful, the end was perfect. Mallory, Mary, and Emily had stayed until late night to play some games with them. It was a good day. And she ate lots of cake. She forgot all her problems for a day. She needed that. But now, her aunt was gently shaking her to wake her up. Jane grumbled, which amused her aunt, and opened her eyes.

- "What?" Jane mumbled.

- "There is the neighbors party today."

- "What? What party?"

- "You know, the party that Melanie wanted to organize. She talked to us about that a few weeks ago."

- "I thought it was supposed to be later...She kept changing the date!"

- "Yeah," Cassandra chuckled. "Well, it's today!"

Jane sighed and dropped her head on the pillow. She really wasn't in the mood to spend the day surrounded by people she didn't know. But she had another idea in her mind, and this event could make things easier. She found some energy and got out of her bed to get ready. She understood better why her aunt woke her up, it was almost 1pm. The advantage was that they didn't need to go far. A few meters in the corridors and they were there. There was a very long table with a white tablecloth under the trees of the park. Jane saluted many people that she didn't even know. She didn't even remember having seen them in the corridors. But she didn't care, she was here for one person in particular. Melanie was approaching them with a smile. The woman struggled to not blush when she met Jane's eyes. The brunette smirked on purpose to make grow the heat in the woman's body. When Melanie shook Jane's hand, she lightly caressed the back of it with her thumb.

- "I'm happy you came," the woman smiled.

- "I wasn't far," Jane answered with a flirtatious tone.

- "I didn't stop thinking of you."

- "I know."

Melanie widely smiled and bit her bottom lip while she was looking at Jane's body with insistence. They got cut by another neighbor saluting them. The brunette took this opportunity to continue her walking. On her way, she met Mary who was holding Emily in her arms as the young girl seemed barely awake. Mary seemed upset.

- "You okay?" Jane asked.

- "What was that?"

- "What was what?"

- "What you did with this woman. It's not normal. You should be careful."

- "I know what I'm doing."

- "Are you sure of that?" Mary said.

Jane clenched her jaw. She hated when people were lecturing her. She was old enough to know what she was doing. Mary wouldn't say anything, Jane knew that. She had no proof; it was just suppositions. The brunette didn't say anything as Emily was there.

The guests all arrived one by one, and Jane realized that she was the only teen here. The only person younger than her was Emily. She helped to prepare the barbecue and even met a man who didn't seem insensitive to her charm. She winked to him, but the man didn't seem ready to go further. He blushed of embarrassment but didn't react in an angry way, like a normal person would have done. After that, she sat next to her aunt, in front of Emily and Mary.

In the middle of the meal, Jane met Melanie's eyes. The woman smiled to her, made a movement with her head, and stood to go inside the building, to the communal kitchen. Jane waited a few seconds before doing the same. When she arrived in the kitchen, Melanie was biting her lip again. The woman grabbed Jane by her leather jacket and pulled her closer to her, their noses at a few centimeters.