Chapter 76 : The date

The days passing, Jane was feeling more and more confident. She managed to not break Alban's jaw every time she was seeing him, and she was following well her classes. She proposed Mallory to live with them now as the blonde girl was still not working and couldn't pay for her rent anymore. The blonde girl didn't really have the choice and accepted. At least, she could take some rest and peacefully look for a job like that. Jane was still feeling empty, sad, and lonely sometimes. Thankfully, she had her cat to remind her that she was loved. And her aunt too. Cassandra was doing everything to make Jane feel comfortable. They were having sessions with a psychologist together to recreate a strong bond between them based on trust. And having Mallory and little Mallory at home with them was making her feel good too. Now, she was ready. She proposed Max to go on a date with her.

Jane was getting ready in her bathroom. She had been there for almost an hour now. Even if she knew Max's feelings for her, she was still stressing to fail. Maybe Max would realize she wasn't really loving her and was just feeling sorry for her. It was stupid. When she came back to school, she could see in her eyes that her feelings were real. But the date could still fail. When she got out of the bathroom, Cassandra was waiting for her, Cat in her arms, and Mallory was laying in the couch, her baby not far.

- "How do I look?" Jane asked.

- "Grand," Cassandra smiled.

- "You look perfect," Mallory said.

- "Thanks. It's not very different of usual. Except the shirt."

- "She is not here for your outfit," the aunt stated.

- "I know. But I would have liked to look a little bit more...elegant."

- "Elegance is in the attitude, not in the outfit."

- "Just be yourself, she is already under your spell," Mallory added.

- "Yeah," the brunette chuckled.

- "If you don't feel okay, I mean, if you feel the need to take...something, you call me, okay?" the woman said.

- "Don't worry. Max knows I'm stopping. She can keep an eye on me. And I'm driving, there is no chance for me to drink or take drugs."

- "My big baby," the aunt proudly said. "Have fun."

Cassandra kissed her niece's cheek before giving her the keys of the car. Jane kissed her cat, waved to them, and left the apartment, in direction of Max's home. When she arrived, Max was already waiting for her. The brunette got out of the car to greet her.

- "Hey," Jane smiled.

- "Hey. You look great."

- "Thanks. You look greater than I."

- "I know."

Jane chuckled before opening the passenger door to let Max go inside. The two girls talked about everything and nothing, both completely relaxed. In fact, they were glad to be finally able to go on a date together, after all this time. When Jane parked the car, the two girls walked in the streets of the town, holding each other's hands, in direction of a small stadium. Max didn't know where Jane was taking her, but she was trusting her enough to know it wasn't a dangerous place. Once inside, Jane gave two tickets to the entrance.

- "Where are we?"

- "You'll see," Jane smirked. "Um...do you wanna eat here? I know it's not a beautiful restaurant, but—"

- "But nothing. Eating here is perfect. We're here to have fun, and we're both broke."

- "Yeah," she chuckled.

- "I just wanna spend the night with you, that's all."

- "Okay. Let's have fun then."

The two girls bought French fries and hamburgers before going to the stadium to look for their seats. Max and Jane sat near the barrier, having a nice view of the field.

- "Are you gonna tell me what we are gonna watch?" Max asked.

- "A fight...of robots."

- "You're kidding!? Awesome!"

Jane chuckled, relieved that Max was enthusiast. The two girls ate their burgers and French fries while Jane was explaining her the proceedings of the competition. Max had always wanted to see a fight of robots. She even wanted to build one, but she wasn't good enough with technologies to build one. Maybe one day.

The matches began. Jane and Max both chose a robot to spice up the matches. They spent the night sniping at each other, making them laugh. When the final match began, the two girls were fully involved with their robots. Max's robot won, and the girl didn't restrain herself from showing her enjoyment. Jane gently pushed her, making her laugh.

Now that the competition was over, the two girls could enjoy the stars by walking together in the streets, holding each other's hands. They wandered aimlessly, talking together, before stopping on the bridge to look at the horizon.

- "I'm sorry for rejecting you," Max said.

- "I know. It's okay. I understand."

- "Really?"

- "Yeah, I mean, I know how I am. It's scary to see a future with me. For sex, it's okay, but for more...it's complicated. That's why I wanted to change."

- "I wish I could have helped you with that."

- "You did. You're still doing it," Jane smiled.

- "It's good to see you smile. You look more...peaceful with yourself."

- "I am, I think. I cross my fingers to keep going like that."

- "You will. You have the good state of mind."

Jane felt touched by her words. She was happy to see that all her efforts were not for nothing. And this night with Max was like a personal satisfaction. She liked the look she had on her. She was her only one, she was sure of that. They both looked at each other, a smile on their faces, completely forgetting about the view. Max placed her hands on Jane's waist and slowly approached the brunette who was doing the same. They were about to touch their lips. But...

- "I KNEW IT!"

The two girls started and looked at the person who yelled at them. Max felt her heart racing when she recognized Neil angrily walking to her. Jane recognized him too and forced Max to step behind her.

- "I knew there was something wrong with you! You're a fucking dyke!"

- "What are you doing here?" Max asked with a weak voice.

- "I was driving back home when I saw you with this punk! That's why you have nothing to do alone in your apartment!"

- "It's too late, she lives alone now, and she is happier like that!" Jane intervened.

- "Don't talk to me, dyke! Keep your sickness for you!"

The man tried to grab Max by her arm, but Jane pushed him before he could reach her. But Neil didn't appreciate it. He punched Jane in her face, making her fall on the barrier. He grabbed her leather jacket and threw her on the ground to kick her multiple times in her belly.

- "LEAVE HER ALONE!" Max intervened.

The redhead ran to him and brutally pushed him before helping Jane to stand.

- "Are you okay?"

- "Yeah, I'm fine," Jane answered, wiping her nose.

- "FUCKING BITCH!"

Neil's target was Max. But Jane was still there to protect her. She placed herself between them before he could grab her. So, he grabbed Jane. He raised her and threw her above the barrier of the bridge under Max's shock.