Chapter 20 : Simba

The night had been long for Beverly. She kept rolling again and again, not able to stop thinking of what happened. Sometimes she was releasing the pressure by crying, but it was making it worse because she couldn't stop crying. She was glad Jane wasn't in the room hearing her being miserable, but she would have liked to have some company too, to change her mind. She managed to fall asleep in the middle of the night. But she had a nightmare and woke up in a start. She looked around and began to look for air, the panic choking her. At the same moment, the door of the room opened, and Jane entered. The brunette and the redhead quickly looked at each other. Jane closed the door and walked in her room like if everything was normal. Bev couldn't believe it. This girl had not a once of compassion right now. She was literally lacking air, but the brunette preferred doing her things. But the redhead regretted thinking that when she understood what Jane was doing. The brunette crouched next to her bed and pushed a button on her night-light, making sound a soft lullaby. Bev frowned, not really knowing how to react to that, but hearing this lullaby and seeing Jane looking at her night-light with soft eyes kinda calmed her. The brunette stood, grabbed her bag, and took off a cuddly toy from it that she held out to Bev. The redhead recognized it immediately. It was her Simba. She quickly took it and hugged it. Jane opened her French door and her shutters, lightening the room. Bev heard some birds singing and could feel the fresh air of the morning cooling the bedroom. The redhead noticed more stuff in the place. There were more bags that she had already seen. Jane sat on her chair and took support on her desk like if she was feeling sick.

- "Um...is it my stuff?" Bev asked.

- "Yep."

- "Why?"

- "Because my room is far from being warm. And I knew you wouldn't have a good night so...I thought you would like to have your stuff."

- "That's...that's very nice of you. Thank you."

- "Yeah...Oh, um, I've this too."

Jane stood with difficulties and went to the bags. She leaned forward and grabbed something before straightening again. Bev saw a beautiful and new skateboard in the other girl's hands.

- "Jane! Don't tell me you bought it for me!"

- "I did. It's the reason why I was at your home yesterday. Here. I hope you'll like it."

- "I love it, but it's too much. You're already doing a lot for me..."

- "I'm not doing anything."

Jane sat on the bed next to the girl and placed the skateboard between Bev and the wall. The redhead was feeling too much things inside her that she didn't resist to wrap her arms around Jane to hug her. She felt the brunette's body tensing but not rejecting her.

- "You're my new best friend," Bev sniffed.

Bev didn't see it, but Jane rolled her eyes.

- "No, I'm not. You say that because I'm the only one who knows your deepest secret."

- "You're probably right..."

- "I won't tell anyone if it worries you."

- "It doesn't. I know you won't. We have the same secret."

This time, Jane rejected the hug. The brunette abruptly stood with empty eyes.

- "I...I need some air," Jane said.

- "Jane..."

The brunette raised her hand before going outside without looking at the other girl. Bev felt awful for this. Jane was welcoming her in her home and all she found to do was embarrassing her! Nice job! She laid down again on the bed and felt better when she hugged tight her Simba. She was glad to have it with her right now; it had always been here when she needed support or just comfort. She stared into space and tried to not have bad thoughts. But she could feel her father on her, touching her, while she was begging him to stop. Every time he was doing that, she was wishing it was the end. She wished he would kill her right after. But he never did. He let her alive to make her suffer more every day. She started and quickly wiped her tears when she heard the door opening.