Chapter 55 : Under the bridge

Jane had been working every night for four days now. She had met some teens who were working under a bridge, known for prostitution. All she had to do was to wait under it until someone proposed her to spend some time with her for some bills. Sometimes she was spending the entire night with them, sometimes it was for a few hours before coming back under this bridge. It was what she did tonight. She just finished with a client and was now in direction of the bridge, a cigarette between her lips. She was exhausted, she knew this lifestyle was not a good thing.

When she arrived under the bridge, the other teens were gone. She took a beer that they left and sat, waiting for her turn. After a few sips, a car parked and honked. She understood it was for her as she was alone. She quickly finished her cigarette and her beer before standing and going to the car. The window of the passenger opened, enabling Jane to lean to see her new client. She wide opened her eyes when she recognized Joyce. The woman just smiled to the girl. Jane completely paled before straightening. She was in a deep shit right now. Joyce was not here to have sex with her. Jane hesitated between getting up and running away. But the woman would never let her alone if she was running away, so she opened the door and sat in the passenger seat, holding tight her bag, and avoiding eyes contact with the woman.

- "Put your belt," Joyce softly said.

The brunette obeyed. Joyce drove away without saying anything. Jane didn't like that silence; it was full of judgements and reproaches. She knew she would tell Cassandra about that, and it was the last thing she wanted. Her aunt would be so disappointed to learn that about her, she was sure she would kick her out. Who wouldn't?

After a few minutes, Joyce parked the car on the parking lot of a fast food. Jane wasn't understanding what they were doing here. The woman got out of the car and made a movement to Jane to tell her to do the same thing. They entered the fast-food, and Joyce ordered some food before going to a table with Jane. The brunette stared at Joyce, waiting for her to yell or to blame her, but the woman was on her phone, not caring. The guy brought a tray with the food. Joyce put her phone away and placed a burger with French fries and a soda in front of Jane, doing the same for herself.

- "So, that's it!? You caught me in the streets, and you decide to buy me food!?" Jane said, not supporting that silence.

- "What were you doing under this bridge?" Joyce asked, taking a bite of her burger.

- "You know what I was doing."

- "Yeah? Maybe. I've an idea. But I want you to say it."

- "I don't wanna say it..."

- "Why?"

- "I'm...I'm ashamed," Jane said in a low voice. "I know it's bad, but I didn't have the choice..."

- "Cassandra thinks you're selling drugs."

- "I did that too. But I'm a shitty drug dealer...How did you know I was there?"

- "Your neighbor, Mary, talked to me about a weird behavior you had with an adult. I was sure you were not doing it for free," the woman explained. "And I saw you leaving the motel, so I followed you. And I know what teens are doing under this bridge. Eat now, you must be starving."

Jane nodded and took a bite of her burger. She was surprised by Joyce's reaction; she was expecting a little bit more remonstrances.

- "You will tell Cass'?"

- "No, she is enough overwhelmed," Joyce said. "But, she told me that your owner received enough money for the next three months. I guess it comes from you, right?"

- "...Maybe."

- "Why not stopping and enjoying your teenage life then?"

- "...I don't do it for me or Cass'. My friend...she will have a baby, and I wanted to help her with it," Jane explained.

- "I see. But you're killing yourself with a lifestyle like that."

- "I know, but I can't let her down. She is my best friend; she has always been here for me. I want to return the favor."

- "And I have to give you credit for that. But you need to think about yourself too. Do you see a doctor?"

- "We don't have insurance. Why?"

- "To be sure you don't have STD."

Jane paled at those words.

- "...I didn't think about that. I don't have relations with no protection," Jane said.

- "I hope that. But some condoms can break during a relation. You would accept to see a friend of mine at his consulting room?"

- "For what?"

- "For analysis. To know if you're okay."

- "Um...but if I have something, I won't be able to pay for meds and things like that."

- "Don't worry for that. I'll take care of that."

- "Why do you do that?"

- "Because Cassandra is my friend, because you're a worried teen with too many bad ideas, because I'm worried for you, because I want to help you, because everybody needs help. You don't think?"

- "Maybe."

- "Good."

Joyce smiled and encouraged Jane to eat more. The brunette began to worry. She hoped she wasn't sick. She had been feeling weird lately, but it was because she wasn't sleeping a lot and drinking too much, not because she had a STD. And how was she supposed to help Mallory if she was stopping to work? Her best friend needed her help, she couldn't abandon her. But it was so much work, there was so many things to do that Jane began to feel dizzy.

After their meal, Joyce drove Jane back home. Cassandra was so happy to see her niece that she took her in her arms for a long hug and mouthed a "thank you" to Joyce who smiled to her before leaving.

- "I'm happy you came back."

- "I always come back."

- "I know, but sometimes...no, nothing. You look tired, you should go to sleep."

- "I'm gonna take a shower before."

- "Sure."

Cassandra broke the hug and let Jane take care of herself. She was so worried to receive a call from the Police to tell her that Jane was dead or deadly hurt that she could barely sleep when Jane wasn't here. But she didn't want her to know, Jane had her life, and Cassandra didn't want her to feel guilty for that. She was feeling guilty for enough things like that.