Chapter 44 : Gunfire

When Max woke up, she had sore muscles. She rubbed her face, trying to remember what happened when she heard some noise coming from her living-room. A smile appeared on her face, seeing again the crazy moment she had with Jane. But the noise in her living-room was becoming louder. She frowned and got out of her bed to see what was happening. She opened her door and saw Jane standing there, in position to knock. The brunette was very pale and seemed worried.

- "Hey, is everything okay?" Max mumbled, rubbing her eyes.

- "Um, I, I, I have to go. There was a gunfire at "The Dirty Men" and Mallory is not answering, same for Loren, and I don't know if they are okay, maybe they are not, maybe they are dead, and I won't support it! I can't lose my brother and Mallory the same week!" Jane explained with a panicked tone.

Max tried to take in all the information. Jane lost her brother who was in a coma apparently, which was awful. And now, a gunfire happened at the bar where Jane was supposed to go. Jane could have died last night if she hadn't proposed her to stay here.

- "I'm leaving, I'm sorry."

- "No, no, don't be! Go find your friends! If you need anything, you just need to call or to come here, okay?"

- "Okay, thank you!"

Jane quickly kissed Max's lips before half-running out of the apartment. The redhead was feeling stupid for blushing now, it was clearly not the moment. But that kiss was like a kiss that a couple would do when they were separating. Nothing was making sense anymore.

Jane was now running in the streets. She couldn't believe that a man entered the bar and shot at everyone. If Mallory was dead...she didn't know what she would become. Mallory was like a sister for her. She was keeping her sane. She went to the bar in first place, but nobody gave her information. The only thing she learnt was that nobody was in the building. She kept running in the town to reach Mallory's building. She climbed three by three the steps and hammered the girl's door. After a few knocks, the door opened. Melissa was there, frowning. Jane didn't stop and pushed Melissa to go inside. Mallory stood from her bed, happy to see her friend. Jane felt a weight leaving her body and ran to Mallory to take her in her arms.

- "I'm so happy you're still alive!" Jane said, tightening the hug.

- "Me too."

- "You're a beautiful person. You're very nice and very funny. You're always kind with me, even when I fuck everything up. You're always there for me. You're like a sister for me. I love you. I would be lost without you."

- "Okay, stop. You're gonna make me cry," Mallory smiled, holding her tears.

- "I'm sorry...I'm so sorry..." Jane cried in the blonde girl's neck. "I was supposed to come, but I didn't...I could have—"

- "What? Been shot too? No way! I was so relieved that you were not here yesterday!"

- "I could have helped you!"

Mallory gently broke the hug with Jane and wiped her friend's tears.

- "You could have done nothing, Jane. We're okay."

- "No, you're not! Maybe physically, but mentally you'll never be the same," Jane sniffed.

- "I know...but I'm still here. And you're here too. Because you made the right decision to not come yesterday."

- "I wish you never had to live something like that...You don't deserve pain and nightmares, and those kinds of shit."

The blonde girl nodded, touched by her friend's sadness. She kissed Jane's cheek and rubbed her back to calm her. But Loren going out of the bathroom made cry again Jane who took her in her arms too. Melissa put her hands on Jane's shoulders and gently forced her to step back.

- "They haven't slept yet, they need to take some rest," the purple-haired girl softly said.

- "Yeah, you're right," Jane sniffed, wiping her eyes.

The brunette looked at Melissa before realizing that Medhi was here too. Jane felt so much emotions that she wrapped her arms around Melissa for another hug. Melissa, amused and happy to be hugged, wrapped her arms around her too.

- "I'm still mad at you, but I don't want you to die," Jane said.

- "I won't die, don't worry. And, even if it's complicated between us, you're still my little sister," Melissa answered.

- "Mine too," Medhi intervened.

Jane nodded and raised her left arm in direction of Medhi to invite him in the hug. The young man obviously accepted, missing those moments with his friends. Jane was missing them too. When she began her new life with her aunt, they were the only ones who didn't bully her in her new school. They became her best friends and always supported her, even when she was unbearable.

- "Don't panic, Jane, but you have a unicorn on your sweatshirt," Melissa joked.

- "Oh shit! I left with Max's clothes!"

- "Max? Is it why you didn't come to the bar?" Mallory frowned with a smirk.

- "Um...yeah...She proposed me to stay with her."

- "Do we know her?"

- "Um, yeah...It's Dumbo."

- "What? The annoying redhead? She invited you for the night?"

- "We...banged."

- "God, Jane! How do you do that!? This girl was hating you!" Mallory chuckled.

- "Not that much, apparently," Jane answered with a weak smile.

- "Well, I'm glad you had fun with her. She seems to be a good person."

- "Yeah, she is."

Jane didn't realize that she was blushing. Melissa, Medhi, Mallory, and Loren all frowned at Jane before looking at each other with wide opened eyes.

- "What?" Jane asked.

- "You're falling for her?" Melissa smiled.

- "What? No! She has a boyfriend! It's just for sex!"

- "You're sure about that?" Loren continued.

- "Yeah! I'm sure! She is not interested in a serious relationship with me! We're just...very hot, and we're very attracted to each other, that's all! We'll have sex while her pal is far and then...it will be over!"

- "Yeah, right!" Medhi chuckled.

- "It's true!"

- "Huh huh."

Jane dropped her arms, giving up, which made laugh her friends. As Mallory and Loren had a rough night, the two girls laid down in bed to sleep a little bit while Melissa and Medhi were staying there, in case they needed something. Jane laid down on the ground to take some rest too. She didn't know why they were thinking she was in love with Max, she was unable to fall in love. It was too dangerous for her.