Chapter 32 : Explanations

As every morning at school, Jane sat on the steps to smoke her cigarette. Since her aunt told her they had two months to pay their depts, Jane couldn't stop thinking of it. The day before, she went to the squat to think about it. She needed too much money. She met a new group who proposed her to do some robberies in the rich district. She didn't accept it yet, but she was seriously thinking about doing it again. She stopped because she didn't want her aunt to be disappointed or to finish in jail. But a small disappointment was still better than finishing under bridges or being taken in different foster families who were just doing it for the check at the end of the month. The brunette got cut in her thoughts by Max going in her direction and sitting next to her. The redhead put a cigarette between her lips while Jane was lighting her lighter. Max took a deep puff of her stick before blowing the smoke.

- "Bad mood?" Jane asked.

- "Yeah."

- "Me too."

- "Why?"

- "Money problem. You?"

- "Family problem," Max answered.

- "'Wanna talk about it?"

- "No. You?"

- "No."

Max was glad Jane wasn't insisting. The redhead had spent her weekend debating with her mother about the whole situation. Her mother was blaming Max for taking an apartment. She thought it was a bad idea and that the tension between Max, Neil, and Billy was her fault for not listening to Neil. Max stopped talking to her when she heard that. She knew her mother was passive, but now she was even in denial. It was like if she wasn't there when he was hitting them. She couldn't wait to have her apartment now.

- "How is your pal?" Jane asked, blowing her smoke.

- "Still an idiot. I don't understand why he felt the need to participate to such a fight! I mean, I wasn't surprised to see you, but him!"

- "What does that mean? You really think I do that because I love that?"

- "No, but you've money problem, right? I know you're doing it for that. It was Mr. Lawrence's idea?"

- "Yeah, kinda. He needed a fighter and thought about me. At least I win money."

- "You're gonna win death if you continue!"

- "I know."

- "But Gary doesn't need money! It's what I don't understand!"

- "Maybe he wanted to impress you," Jane stated.

- "Why would I be impressed by violence!"

- "Come on, you're not the kinds of girls who is satisfied with a bunch of flowers."

- "Why not?" Max frowned.

- "You're doing boxing, skateboard, and ice hockey—"

- "How do you know all of that!?"

- "Bev told me," Jane said.

- "This girl talks too much," Max sighed.

- "Anyway. I'm sure you're more the kind to like robot fights, boxing matches, or an entire day of karting!"

- "Who wouldn't? Karting is so cool!"

- "Maybe, I don't really know. But, for him, doing a boxing match and inviting you was a way to impress you, to force you to look at him."

- "It didn't really work."

- "You need another perspective."

Max frowned as an answer. Jane was smirking which intrigued the redhead next to her. The brunette got closer of the other girl, their thighs touching, Max lightly started, wondering what was happening, but she wasn't scared as she used to be before, she was even amused. Jane took a deep puff of her cigarette before blowing the smoke on Max's face. Max chuckled while Jane placed her arm behind Max's back and leaned to the redhead's ear, giving her goosebumps. Jane wetted her lips before whispering: