Chapter 5: A New Side

True to his word, Cole met with Liana nearly every other day to train together in the gym. Sometimes, when they couldn't fit their meetings into the afternoon, they met in the evening. Their training usually went on for a little more than an hour, followed by an infrequent time of hanging out and chatting.

Liana proved to be a strong, eager student. Shyness gone, she was up for challenges and sparring. Cole found himself enjoying their training sessions together.

It was on the fourth day when she managed to create a vortex of Spinjitzu. The colors were a sparkling mix of white and violet, and there was an odd, whispering hiss as she spun.

With a delighted squeal she cried, "I did it! I'm doing Spinjitzu! I'm— Whoa—!" In the midst of her excitement, she lost balance and smashed into Cole.

When Lloyd later asked where the bruise on his face came from, Cole claimed it came from running into a door.

Cole, in turn, was taught new tricks in nunchaku. He sometimes got frustrated with the "stupid little chopsticks you call weapons", but he forced himself to be patient, and he believed that he learned some great tricks from Liana. Some days he even taught the blind teen a few basic moves with a scythe. Liana said she preferred the light, quick movement of her nunchucks, but she could see why Cole preferred his choice weapon.

The two of them enjoyed their training sessions, and something about keeping it a secret from their friends just made it more fun. Liana told her relatives she was studying in the library, and Cole told his friends that he was taking a walk or visiting his dad.

He was glad to hear that Liana and her relatives were planning to stay in Ninjago City for almost two weeks, seeing that one of her cousins (he forgot which), was getting a job interview soon after Rosie's graduation. After that, though, they would return to Stiix—but he didn't want to think about that.

It'd been a week after he'd made the deal with Liana when Cole was trying to slip away from Steep Wisdom for his next meeting. By this time the sun was setting, and the shadows cast over the courtyard were long and dark. It wouldn't be long before night settled.

Cole was in the kitchen heading toward the back door. As he zipped up his hoodie, he heard someone clear their throat. He spun around to see Jay leaning in the doorway to the kitchen.

"Hey, Cole. What'cha do-in'?" he chanted.

"Nothing," Cole replied too quickly.

Jay arched an eyebrow. "'Nothing'? Looks to me that you're going out somewhere." He crossed his arms. "Like you've been doing for days now."

"OK, so I'm going out," Cole snapped. "I'm... patrolling. Looking out for danger."

"Cool, I'll join you!"

"No, no, that's OK," he replied hastily. "I'll— I'll be faster if I go by myself."

"Oh, ah, all right, that makes sense!" Jay rolled his eyes. "Faster. Right, right. I get it. Or," he added slyly. "There's something you're not telling us."

Cole fought the urge to panic. "Yeah, sure. And what exactly would I be hiding, pea-brain?"

"That's exactly what I'm wondering." Jay stepped up to him. "Don't play innocent, smart guy. I'm not that stupid. Everyone's noticed you acting weird and disappearing for hours." He hesitated, then said earnestly, "C'mon. Won't you tell us what's going on?"

Cole's eyes narrowed. "Maybe when you tell us what that letter said. Remember? The one you got last week?"

Jay's gaze wavered. "That's none of your business."