Chapter 71: Looking For Zane

It was after Matilda's grueling mind-bending session that Liana and Nya got out the bow and arrows and presented them to the team. Nobody knew how they worked, of course, but Jay—having a passion for mechanics and electronics—volunteered to go out to the field where the Bounty was parked with some practice targets and to help Liana find out what the Borg bow did. Overhearing this, Cole immediately offered to join them.

This on his part wasn't so much as to discover the purpose of Borg's strange gift, but rather to share a word with Liana. Cole still felt disturbed by his friend's situation with the Dark Sleep spell and the secrecy, and he wanted to talk to her about it—although he had no idea what he wanted to say.

The ninja got out a few old targets and some extra bows and quivers full of arrows from the storage room of the Bounty, just so that some of them could get some practice in the meantime. Thus Liana, Nya, Jay, and Cole left the Bounty and went out to the grassy field, nearby the forest where they had just had their training sessions with Matilda.

Cole carried the extra quivers of arrows along with his own longbow, trailing behind the others. The puffy white clouds spread apart to reveal a bright blue sky. A low breeze was blowing and made the bright green grass wave rhythmically, like the ocean. The wind toyed playfully with Cole's hair, and several times he had to blow his shaggy bangs out of his face.

"So, what are we planning to do?" Nya asked, shouldering a couple of the wooden targets beneath her armpit. "With Borg's electric bow, I mean."

"Just try it out. See what it does," Jay responded lightly, walking alongside Liana with two more targets.

Liana shrugged under her own load of her bow and extra arrows. "That's about all we can do."

They set up the targets together and placed themselves at a shooting distance from them. Liana slung the quiver over shoulder and picked up the bow, after attaching the earpiece to the curve of her ear. She turned on the bow, and the lights on it and the arrows turned on.

"How many of these arrows are there?" Cole asked, fingering one of the said arrows that he had taken from an extra box Nya had taken along with them.

"We didn't count, but I'm guessing like fifty, maybe more." Nya stepped back from Liana to give her room.

"So... how exactly is Liana supposed to shoot those targets?" Jay ventured, looking skeptically at the equipment. "I mean, Cyrus Borg's nice and all for giving her this stuff, and it looks super-cool, but... why her? No offense," he added hastily.

"None taken," she replied easily. "This is kind of the last thing you'd expect a blind person to use."

"What do these things do?" Cole discovered the bag of the little round plastic objects among the extra arrows and pulled them out.

"No idea." Nya shrugged, casting a helpless look at the objects. "Try shooting, Liana."

Liana drew an arrow and stuck it in the nock clumsily. "Where do I shoot?"

"Just in front of you. Point it kind of up like— yeah, like that."

Liana drew back the bowstring, and upon Nya's approval, kept it steady and aimed at an invisible target. "What now?"

"Let go," Jay said.

Liana let go. With a thrum, the glowing arrow shot out and over the expanse of grass before falling to the grass. It sunk and disappeared in the green landscape. The ninja heard a low thunk.

"Majestic," said Jay.

"You said it started beeping when you pointed it at Nya?" Cole ventured.