Chapter 96: The Dark Sleep Strikes Back

Eagle Talon tried to hide his limp, but he couldn't help but wince every so often. Running and fighting barefoot in his human form in the warehouse had hurt his feet; the rough metal floors had not been kind. He wished human bodies had rough pads beneath their feet like cats did. I guess that's why they always wear shoes, he noted wryly.

Cole didn't say anything, but offered his shoulder to Talon. He accepted it gratefully. The two of them hobbled past the police officers—the blue-clothed humans were giving Talon suspicious looks—and out of the warehouse, along with the rest of the ninja team.

"Are you hurt?"

Talon realized that Mr. Brookstone—no... his father had been hovering close by and was now staring at him anxiously. He's worried that I might be wounded, he realized. The thought felt so bizarre, out of place.

"I'll be fine," Talon responded. "Just my feet. Not used to running around as a human."

"As a—" Lou looked confused for a moment, then gasped, "Oh! Right, right... of course, yes." He looked uncomfortable.

Cole voiced a small grunt. Talon swiveled his head to see his brother was gritting his teeth. "What's the matter?"

"Nothing." The hand not supporting Talon reached up for the straps holding his leather breastplate together and wriggled at them—he was trying to loosen it.

"Your shoulder," Talon realized. "The one I—" He stopped himself.

"The one that was bitten, yeah," Cole muttered. "It's just chafing a little."

"Take a break, son. I'll help your brother." Before he knew what was happening, Lou had taken Talon's arm and wrapped it over his own shoulder, so that he supported Talon's weight. Cole gave a small sigh of relief and flexed his arm slowly, then started loosening the straps of the breastplate.

Eagle Talon wasn't sure what to feel about being in such physical proximity with his father. Of course, they had hugged just minutes before, but still. He had only just met him. "Where are we going?"

"To the Bounty," Lou responded. "I'm sure Wu or Misako will have something to fix up your feet."

Before Talon could say that shifting into his feline body and washing his feet himself would probably be fine, they were approaching the loose crowd of villagers and miners chattering excitedly amongst themselves. One of the miners approached them. "Ninja!" he cried, wearing a broad smile. "Thank you so much! You've freed us!"

"All part of the job, Shiro," Cole replied with a tired but satisfied look. He waved at the other miners and villagers who were shouting their thanks. "We're glad to help. You guys were awesome in there."

Shiro approached Cole and shook his hand heartily. "All thanks to you still, for encouraging me! I thought I would have to go on living under the oppression of those cats, and watch my children become slaves for them, too. But now," he gestured to the people, "we're free!"

"Our pleasure." Lloyd came out of nowhere, seemingly. He must have finished up talking to the leader of the police. Misako followed her son closely. Jay, Nya, and Liana were trailing behind—Nya was still leaning on Jay, looking as if she were suppressing some grimaces of her own. Glad I'm not the only one hobbling around like an invalid, Talon thought thankfully.

"But look—if the Moon Tribe warriors ever try to bother you again," Lloyd was saying to Shiro, "you'll give us a call, right? These cats are dangerous."

"Don't worry, Green Ninja." Now the leader of the police had joined them. Talon stared at the way his bushy gray face-fur bounced as he spoke. "I'll station some of my men here for the time being, and we'll get some telephone poles and computers up and running soon. We're not going to lose any more villages."