Chapter 77: Raining Cats and Dogs

Open-mouthed, Cole and Eagle Talon stared at one another. With their black, shaggy hair, dark complexions, similar builds and green eyes, they wore utterly identical expressions of shock. Cole realized how much they physically shared in common.

We look so much alike. We're practically twins... He felt dizzy. How could we not see it before?

The long, horrible silence was broken by Matilda—who, despite her own undisguised shock, still had enough gall to say, "Well, then, Lou Brookstone, congratulations. You are a father of not one, but three healthy children. You must be very proud."

"Matilda," Wu berated sharply.

Lou's gaze shot toward the witch standing in the corner. "Th— three?"

Cole staggered. Black Blood.

No way. Oh, no way. No flipping way.

He felt sick to his stomach. "I'm gonna puke."

"Black Blood," Liana whispered in horror. "She— That also means she's Cole's—!"

"Sister," Zane finished grimly.

"Fox dung," Little Leaf whispered. "Ohh, fox dung."

"Black Blood...?" Mr. Brookstone pressed worriedly.

"The leader of the Moon Tribe," Wu said, grave. "One of the Seven Sorcerers. The one who ordered the kidnapping of my ninja, Misako, and more. The one who wants to get those moonstones," he added, using his staff to point to the moonstone Cole held. "to get literal nine lives from the spirit world and use her powers to take revenge for wars that happened a long time ago."

"She's a psychopath," Jay added.

Mr. Brookstone staggered against the wall and slid to the floor. He stared off into space. "Wh— what...?"

"She's coming."

Cole whirled around and faced his brother. "Who's coming?"

"Black Blood." Talon's face looked white with horror. "She and the tribe. They're coming here."

Jay made the connection before Cole did. "You led them to us!"

"That's right." Talon lunged and punched Cole in the stomach.

Breath knocked out, Cole staggered while the werecat snatched the moonstone from his brother. With that he raced back to the door. "And I've got a mission to complete."

"Get him!" Jay cried angrily.

Eagle Talon bared his teeth in a loud hiss and, before Jay could get him, yanked the door open and fled outside. Jay tore after him with Nya, Zane, Lloyd, and Liana following close behind.

Stumbling to his feet, Cole cried, "Don't hurt him!"

"Cole!"

His father's cry rang in his ears, but he didn't answer. Vision blurry, he stumbled out onto the street. His friends stood close by, and he joined them in a lopsided stagger.

"Where's Talon?"

Lloyd caught sight of Jay's figure fleeting down the street. "There! Jay's right on his tail!" He pulled up his mask and unsheathed his sword. "Come on! We can't let him get away!"

Cole's blood was pounding in his ears. He didn't bother to pull up his mask. He only yanked out his katana and threw himself down the street. Suddenly finding his breath again, he took the lead of the chase, and within moments he was at the street corner where Jay had disappeared—and promptly ran into Jay himself.