Chapter 37: Jay's Terror

"That's right, lay him there," Matilda ordered. "Someone get that boy some water, see if we can force it down."

"Are you sure we shouldn't take him to the hospital?" Liana pressed.

"All those doctors'll do is stick a bunch of needles in him and give him pills that'll make him loopy. He's better off like this."

Matilda, Liana, Nya, Wu, and Zane stood over Jay, who lay with his limbs splayed out across the bedspread of his cot in his old room, back when the ninja's initial base had been the Destiny's Bounty. The only light came from the lightbulbs in the room, seeing that the exhausted and slightly shaken party of travelers had landed in the Samurai X Cave with the ship, thus hiding out from the sun's light.

After Zane and Pixal had succeeded in maneuvering the Bounty out of harm, everyone readily agreed to returning to Nya's hideout as soon as they could—not just for their sake, but Jay's. His health seemed to be growing steadily worse without food and water, not to mention any actual sleep. His skin was deathly-pale, he broke out into cold sweats or freezing chills frequently, and he was often caught mumbling and moaning nonsense. One time Lloyd thought he heard him say, "No... not again... not Nya." Another time it sounded as if he was saying, "Pancakes don't fix bullet holes."

Now he lay quietly, motionless save for the occasional twitch. Nya gazed at him wordlessly, crossing her arms as if cold. Zane cast her a concerned look, but said nothing.

Liana commented, "It would probably be easier to do something for him if you guys were back at your teashop. Closer to help like medicine and food and stuff, you know."

"Yeah, you're right," Nya responded. "It would be easier—if certain people hadn't burned it to the ground." She cast a pointed glare toward the doorway, where Eagle Talon could be seen standing idly in the hall.

The werecat realized she was picking at him and scowled. "What are you looking at me for? I didn't order that attack. I wasn't even a part of it!"

"Whatever," Nay scoffed. "That doesn't change the fact that you—!"

Matilda interjected before a fight could begin. "How's your shoulder, kid?"

Talon rolled his sore limb around in its socket. "Better," he replied a bit grudgingly. "Whatever that funny-smelling stuff does sure works... even if it tastes like crow's food."

"Glad to know my potion's such a hit." Matilda turned back to Jay and began giving Zane, Liana, and Nya orders to fetch so-and-so.

Wu decided to stay out of their way and left the room, just as Talon turned and drifted quietly down the hallway. Wu watched the young man's retreating back for a moment, then wandered down a separate corridor, stroking his beard thoughtfully.

Cole was up on deck with Lloyd, sitting wearily on one of the companionways. Both boys looked rather drained of life, and Lloyd was blinking drowsily—which was natural, considering the fact that night had already fallen by the time the group had arrived at the cave.

Eagle Talon stepped out of the doorway leading inside and saw the two humans sitting on the steps leading to the upper deck. His thick eyebrows furrowed, and he strode purposely over to them.

Cole and Lloyd looked up when Talon stepped up to them and stated, "I want my moonstone."

Lloyd blinked in confusion. "What?"

"Part of our deal, right?" Talon nodded toward the doorway from whence he came. "You got Jay back. Everybody's safe and sound. Held up my end of the bargain. Time to hold up yours."