Chapter 110: Return of the Son of Fire

Kai danced in an unsteady circle as fire bloomed out of his blackened hands. The hot tongues licked at the ring of soldiers who'd gathered around him and they scurried back. Kai turned again to blast another flame at some more encroaching soldiers. Like a dizzying dance he kept spinning. Though his strength had been drained beyond the point of using Spinjitzu, he could still move fast if he must.

"Take him down!" a man cried.

Something shot out of the crowd toward Kai's head. He ducked and the spear clattered against the gatehouse wall behind him. More spears followed. It was all he could do to duck out of the way and kick some of the projectiles away. His shoulder throbbed hotly, but he couldn't stop moving.

More men threw their spears at him, gathering their courage again. A slice of pain at his thigh and another at his bicep were signs that their aims were getting better and Kai's agility was getting worse. He kept spinning and shooting fire in a circle and dodging the spears, but it wouldn't be long until—

A force tore through one of his leather tassets and he felt himself jerked back. The spear attached to the tasset sank into between the cobblestone wall, and Kai found himself stuck along with it. Desperately he shot another wide wave of fire at his enemies.

"We've got him now!" the commander jeered. "Quickly, get—"

His sentence cut off with a yelp of pain and he tumbled to the ground. The platoon of soldiers hesitated, uncertain.

With a roaring battle cry of multitudes brought their attention to the open drawbridge; like a dark sea a wave of armed people burst into the courtyard. Some could be heard chanting, "For our country! For our queen! For our freedom!"

Riding a galloping pony was Tinny Bird and he wielded a large crossbow. When he saw Kai he roared, "For our Fire Mage!"

Relief blossomed in Kai's chest, and he stood up, grinning broadly. The wave of rebels swept in and crashed into the platoon. Bird led the charge and immediately took out two men with his crossbow. The rest followed viciously, and within seconds the castle courtyard became the ruthless bloodbath between red-clad soldiers and motley rebel warriors of both human and half-canine. The rebels spread out and drove the Pingousers in one direction.

"Kai!"

Jukeni appeared out of the brawl, closely followed by Kaeden. Kai laughed and exclaimed, "Boy, you guys know how to make an entrance!"

The boys came and Kaeden yanked the spear expertly out of the wall and freed Kai. "We should. We have been planning this for a long time," he said solemnly.

Kai inspected them. They were both clad in armor, though only Jukeni wore a helmet. He proudly brandished a polearm while Kaeden bore a massive club in one hand. They looked virtually unscathed and jubilant.

"You two are looking good," he said wryly.

"And you look like something the cat dragged—" Jukeni's teasing gaze fell upon Kai's hands and he looked horrified. "Good Star Guards, what in the world happened to your hands—?!"

"It's fine!" Kai interjected impatiently. "I'm fine, I can still fight!"

Kaeden's eyes had darkened with concern, almost puppy-like. "That looks very serious. We can get you out—"

"I'm not leaving!" Kai snapped. "Lord Hälogen's in this castle somewhere, right? I need to find him!"

"You're still going on about that?" Kaeden exchanged a look with Jukeni. "What do you want him for?"

"He's dangerous, Kai!" Jukeni protested. "He can use magic, and he—!"

"And he may know how to transport me back to my own world! I have to get back!" Kai snapped. "All my friends are in danger, I just know it! Those cat-people are bad news, and I'm gonna stop them!"