Chapter 113: Reunion

"Looks like this is the end, buddy!" Jay grunted. His leg shot out and kicked a charging wolf in the jaw.

Zane's jaw was set grimly as he shot needles of ice out of his hands. Broken wires trailed from his torn neck and the empty socket where his arm had been. "This appears to be the end of our nine lives," he said.

"Was that a cat pun?" Jay flashed him a wry grin. "Ha-ha, I'm so proud of you! I mean, it's terrible, but—!"

"Would you knock it off with the jokes?!" Ronin snapped. "In case you haven't noticed, we're fighting for our lives!"

Jay and Zane were backed into a corner of the cavern, along with Ronin and Mr. Brookstone. With them were Wolf Paw, Quick Fin, and Lightning Streak. Master Wu was nowhere to be seen.

The angry wolf pack had completely disrupted the Moon Tribe's battle. Cats in their various forms were scattered haphazardly across the cavern, fighting the wolves desperately. The cats were larger in size and strength, but their previous battles had exhausted them. The ambush had given the wolves the advantage.

Over half a dozen wolves were closing in on the ninja and their allies. Wolf Paw was just barely limping out of the way of their snapping teeth. Ronin stayed by the black cat's side, chucking knives and rocks whenever he could. Quick Fin made obscure screeches and squeaks to annoy the wolves, but even she could not fight past them. The entire group was enclosed in a corner. Wolves advanced from all sides.

"I thought you were going to get the pups!" Ronin shouted amid the clamor of snarling wolves and wailing cats.

"I was!" Jay snapped, shooting lightning at a wolf about to bite his foot off. "But these things followed me, and I couldn't lead them to the baby cats!"

"Well," Lightning Streak grunted wearily. "Thank you for trying to help us. I would rather die fighting evil than fall prey to its power. I'm sorry you must die here with us."

Jay shrugged good-naturedly. "Hey, what are friends for?"

That shrug cost him; one wolf saw him distracted and lunged, slamming Jay to the ground. With a yelp he thrashed and punched it in the jaw. The huge beast snarled and snapped its teeth toward his face.

A bright green ball of energy slammed into the wolf. The impact sent the creature flying and it hit the wall. Dazedly Jay sat up and peered through his swimming vision. A figure in a tattered green gi was approaching him.

He mumbled, "L— Lloyd? But..."

"Looks like we're just in time." A familiar hand grabbed his and pulled him to his feet. Jay could hardly believe his eyes.

"Lloyd! But— but," he stammered. "Blood Star said you were dead!"

Lloyd shrugged. "I got better." He looked over his shoulder.

Jay followed his gaze, and his heart leapt. Nya had appeared and was already engaged with three massive wolves. A silver Spinjitzu vortex revealed Misako's presence as she slung wolves and enemy cats this way and that. Even Little Leaf was there, fighting among them. There seemed to be something different about her, but Jay's attention was distracted by the arrival of Skylor and—

No. No way. He caught his breath. "K— Kai...?"

"It cannot be!" Zane cried.

Misako swooped in on them with her Spinjitzu. More wolves went flying, and Ronin and the werecats suddenly found themselves free. With a fierce caterwaul Wolf Paw threw herself into the thick of the crowd and helped some wounded cats fight off a group of wolves, followed by Quick Fin.