Chapter 109: Earthquake

The courtyard was in chaos. Soldiers ran up and down stairs and towers in a metallic clamor, shouting and cursing at one another. A bell from one of the towers was ringing, and its gong reverberated throughout the fortress. Judging by the alarm and clumsiness in getting organized, Kai guessed these soldiers had not seen an attack on their city for a long time, if ever.

No one took notice of him and Garagan running past the lines of soldiers and their shouting commanders. They raced out of the keep and toward the gatehouse, occasionally jostling men out of the way. Before anyone could notice Garagan's grungy attire and realize he didn't belong there, he'd slammed open the gatehouse door, ushered Kai in, and locked it behind him. They ran up the spiraling staircase until they reached the top floor; Kai was gasping for breath by the time they arrived.

Half a dozen soldiers were there, but they paid the intruders no heed. All of them were peering out the arrow loops—long, narrow holes in the wall made for archers to shoot from.

Finally catching his breath, Kai started toward them. "What're they looking at—?"

"Never mind them!" Garagan yanked him away, rebuking in a harsh half-whisper, "Stop gawking. Look."

Kai looked; a massive winch sat in the middle of the room with thick chains wrapped around it. The chains stretched out to a couple of openings in the wall; each chain was supported by a pulley. Kai realized this was what controlled the drawbridge.

He lowered his voice. "Are they close enough for us to lower the drawbridge yet?"

Garagan looked uncertain.

Another boom echoed from the city. The sound of crumbling buildings followed, and the soldiers staring out the arrow loops murmured nervously.

"Eh. Sounds close enough to me. C'mon." Garagan grabbed the large handles of the winch and pushed.

Kai joined him, although the best he could do was push using his shoulders and back. The sounds of chains rattling and wood beams groaning caught the soldiers' attention and they stared in alarm at the intruders. "Oi! Have ye lost your mind, mate?!"

"You lot should do a better job at guarding," Garagan sneered.

It finally seemed to dawn upon the young men that Kai and Garagan were not on their side and they drew their swords and spears. "Get away from that winch!"

"Make me." Garagan started toward them but Kai stopped him.

"No, you lower the drawbridge. I'll take care of these bozos."

Garagan nodded and continued working at the creaking winch. Kai faced the Pingousers and let his hands blaze to life. "All right. Who's first?"

Spears jabbed at his face. He ducked his head back and dodged them. They advanced, but he leaned back and kicked a couple of the spearheads away. As the two men in front attempted to get their spears up again, he let a wave of fire billow over their heads.

Panicked cries followed as the soldiers scurried back. When the flames cleared, half a dozen terrified faces stared back at Kai.

He grinned haughtily. "Nice to meet you guys. They call me the Fire Mage."

A grunt from Garagan had Kai whirling around. Another soldier had appeared, unseen, from the other end of the room and was jabbing his spear at Garagan. The spearhead slashed into his shoulder.

"Hey!" Kai blasted fire at the solider. Garagan cried out but Kai couldn't see him. Then something flashed at the end of his vision. He ducked and a spear flew over his head where his face had been.