Chapter 23: What They Said and What She Heard

Cole wandered among the still trees and attempted to walk as quietly as possible. His years of trained skills kicked in, and he became naught but a silent, drifting shadow in the forest. The canopy of leaves cast him in near-stifling darkness, and he could barely see where he was walking. Leaves, twigs, and weeds brushed against his legs and snatched at his clothing, and he gritted his teeth when he felt his skin pierced by invisible thorns.

He didn't know how long he walked, but he soon realized he hadn't the foggiest idea where Eagle Talon had gone. The creature had disappeared into the night as stealthily and soundlessly as a phantom. For all he knew, Eagle Talon could be watching him this very moment, just as a cat would watch a hapless mouse before pouncing.

Cole suppressed a shiver and silently berated himself. Big baby! He was imagining monsters and boogie men like a little kid. He was a ninja! There was absolutely nothing to be afraid of—

At that moment some night animal let loose a frightful howl. Something big crashed in the bushes, and panicked cries echoed throughout the woods. The creature yelped and screeched for a few seconds before its terrified screams were cut off.

Something else rustled in the bushes, then silence enveloped the night.

Dryly Cole gulped. "OK... not creepy at all. Yeesh." He fell silent. His own voice sounded as if it was disturbing the dark atmosphere of the forest, and that it may even lead hidden enemies to him. He scanned his surroundings, but could make out naught but the silhouettes of trees and underbrush surrounding him.

A single ray of moonlight peeked down from the canopy and cast a flickering, soft light down on a clump of thick bushes. The dew on the leaves reflected the light like molten silver and sparkled in the shadows. Some of the reflections even looked like glowing eyes.

Cole felt his mouth go dry when he realized that there were, in fact, two glowing orbs staring eerily at him. They stood out from the bottom of the bush, where the shadows were the thickest. Some creature was under there, and it was watching him.

Hardly daring to breathe, Cole held its gaze and waited for it to make the first move.

Then a dark, black-striped tabby stepped into the moonlight. Its eyes gleamed in the dark. "What do you think you're doing out here, Son of Earth?"

Cole stepped back warily. "Talon?"

The cat's shape shifted as it stood on its hind legs, its tails shrunk and disappeared, and it grew to the same height as Cole. The creature in his human form responded dispassionately. "Who else?"

Cole stared at Eagle Talon, noting that something red was smeared across his face and hands. "What are you doing?"

"What are you doing?" Eagle Talon countered.

"Are you going to answer all my questions with questions?" Cole growled.

"Are you?"

"For crying out—!"

"I'm eating, for ancestors' sake!" Eagle Talon exclaimed irritably. "Anything wrong with that?"

"Eating? Eating what? The food's at the campsite."

"Your food, maybe." Eagle Talon retorted. "My food is out here." With that he crouched down and snatched a furry bundle from under the bush. He stood up and waved it Cole's face. "See? Real food."

"Augh!" Cole recoiled in disgust. "Was that the thing I heard screeching a few minutes ago?!"

"Yeah." The young man shrugged. "It smelled me before I pounced, so it tried to make a run for it. It nearly got away, but it's mine now. Don't think you can steal it," he added warningly.