Chapter 41: Breaking the Ice

A lithe shape that flashed bright silver down gracefully from the white clouds and to the earth below. It found itself swooping over a vast, forest-covered mountain valley. Dark trees stretched for as far as the eye could see, from the shallowest dip in the land to the highest cliff that grazed the clouds. The rolling mountainsides created a sort of bowl-shape in the land for many miles, shielding those wild animals and creatures of the hills within its embrace from signs of human civilizations.

That's not to say there wasn't human life within this area as well. On the contrary: among the very heart of this valley, sitting atop the very tip of a steep, rocky cliff that towered hundreds of miles over a dark gorge, sat a man-made establishment that brought some of the greatest buildings in Ninjago City to shame. One of both massive height and width, it was a structure too formidable to be called a palace, and yet too lavish to be called a fortress.

Made with a dark brick that blended in yet stood out in the millions of trees and countless rocky cliffs surrounding it, the building consisted of vast halls and courtyards, enormous towers stretching up to the sky, and a fifty-foot wall circling the entire thing. Countless barred windows dotted the towers and the main buildings like dark, malignant eyes. A few tattered flags waved listlessly in the cool breeze, left by negligent workmen. This outstanding stronghold—this castle—was certainly a sight to behold.

The falcon swooped over the monstrous wall and inspected the courtyards and buildings. Men were walking idly about in the yards; some chatting, some tending to the horses in the stables, others carrying boxes or bags in and out of the many doors dotting the walls.

The falcon was but a flash of silver as it swept over the heads of these passerby. It ascended around one of the towers, hovered about the terracotta roof, and finally settled upon the very tip with a satisfied wiggle of its tail feathers.

The courtyard was spread out like a map before the bird's sight, perfect for inspecting the inhabitants of this peculiar dwelling. The falcon's machinery whirred quietly from its silver head, and a signal was sent to a flying ship parked several hundred miles away.

* * *

"I'm receiving a signal!" Zane exclaimed, reaching one hand up to touch his temple.

"Quick, connect to the computer so we can see!" Nya ordered, setting up the virtual screen as she spoke.

Eagle Talon's eyes widened in curiosity and mild wariness as an image flickered onto the computer screen. Everyone was gathered in the bridge: Zane, Nya, Cole, and Lloyd stood at the computer, with Zane attaching a wire to his head, so as to connect his Falcon Vision to the system, and Nya tapping away quickly at the keyboard.

Eagle Talon and Liana stood nearby. Wu and Matilda stood around the back, the witch glancing at the screen impassively.

A slightly unfocused vision took its place on the computer screen. Eagle Talon stared at the scene of some sort of courtyard. "Is this what the metal bird is seeing?"

"Yeah." Cole cast the werecat a curious look. No matter how many times Zane and Nya had tried to explain it, Eagle Talon just didn't seem to understand how robots and computers worked. For now he just seemed to be accepting what he saw of technology, but he thought that WiFi had something to do with clouds, that the internet was some kind of secret message and spy system, and that electricity was captured lightning or fire.

He was absolutely fascinated by Zane's falcon. He had also tried to eat it. That didn't go over very well with Zane—nor the poor falcon, who didn't seem to appreciate someone trying to make it his lunch. Both were quite indignant and flustered after that episode.