Chapter 22: A Reluctant Alliance

The Destiny's Bounty flew several miles across vast forestland and valleys before Eagle Talon ordered the ship to be parked, saying that if they flew any closer they would risk detection. The ninja team landed the ship where few—if anyone—would be able to reach it or get it. Nestled in the curve of a valley covered by thick woods, the Bounty was well-hidden.

Master Wu, Matilda, nor Eagle Talon had to alter their appearances much, if at all, but the ninja found themselves disguised as traveling rice farmers, their simple peasantry garments complete with sandals and straw hats like Wu's. They carried their new uniforms in backpacks. Cole complained that if they were venturing into enemy territory, it made more sense to wear Cyrus Borg's new gi, seeing that they were intended for fighting werecats. Wu, Matilda, and Zane voted to stick to the original plan, however, and Liana and Nya agreed. So ninja disguised as rice farmers they were.

Eagle Talon took the lead, claiming to know where his tribe-mates were planning to drown Jay. He was quiet and spared few words. None of the younger travelers seemed to take to the idea of following the werecat, but sharp glances from both Wu and Matilda made them hold their tongues.

The group traversed up steep hills of woodland to the point where their heads were constantly tilted upwards to see where they were going. Scaling the mountainside took time, with the five humans and one nindroid stepping past stumps half-buried in mud, weeds and undergrowth grabbing their legs, and dodging endless pines. Eagle Talon was the only one who seemed at ease in the terrain. His had probably known this forest for years. In fact, he clarified this when Nya—huffing and puffing—asked skeptically if he really knew where he was going.

"Trust me. I know this place like the back of my paw." Eagle Talon stopped and took a moment to glance at his hand. "Hey, that's new."

Nya stopped and glared at him.

"Joking." The werecat rolled his eyes. "Only joking." He continued up the mountain path.

"'Joking'?" Cole arched his eyebrows. "I didn't know werecats had a sense of humor."

"Only when we need it."

"Huh." Cole hopped nimbly over a tree stump and came up behind Eagle Talon. "What, were you trying to lighten the mood or something?"

"The Daughter of Water is in need of some humor," the werecat said dryly. "She's had her tail in a twist all day."

"Hey, I'm right here, you know," Nya snapped. "I heard cats hate water. How would you like it if I gave you good splash in the—?"

"Oi, shut your pie holes!" Matilda exclaimed crossly. "Fluffy, Waterlily: quit trying to pick a fight. If we're going to be walking these muddy mountains for nearly three days, I think I speak for Liana, Frosty, and Mr. Sensei when I say we don't want to have to listen to you bickering like spoiled toddlers."

She twirled her wand between her fingers with a frown. "I know a spell that takes away a person's ability to speak, and I've used it on noisy teenagers before. Unless you want to be mute for a couple of days, I suggest you either shut your traps or find something else to talk about. Understood?"

Eagle Talon and Nya glared at the witch resentfully, but their silence was an answer in itself.

"Good." Matilda jammed her wand back into its sheath and continued up the slope. Nya and Eagle Talon shared a silent, heated glare. Liana ignored all of them and kept walking quietly by Wu.

Zane caught up with Cole and muttered, "Is Matilda always like this?"

"If by 'this', you mean an impatient, bossy old hag, then yes." Cole cast a mischievous glance at Matilda's retreating back. "You get used to it."