Chapter 78: The Unexpected Allies

Skylor, Jay, Lloyd, and Nya burst into the town square to find utter chaos. Families were running up and down the streets, panic-stricken as houses blazed with fire. Several rooftops had already caved in, sending waves of extra heat and sparks as they crumbled in ash and smoke. Pushcarts had tumbled over in the street or had been left aside. Many citizens clutched personal belongings or their children in their arms as they fled the burning neighborhood. Soot stained their fearful faces and torn clothing, and many bore burns.

It looked like at least two dozen cat warriors were in this part of the village. Multi-colored pelts of nekomata darted by the houses and ran after the people, caterwauling in triumph. Villagers were thrown to the ground with open wounds as the warriors attacked them. Many Moon Tribe werecats were in their human states, and used their weapons to hunt down their human prey. Women cried out in despair when the enemy warriors blocked off escape from the sides of the neighborhood clearing. Children shrieked in terror at the sight of the gleaming fangs and the cats' malicious snarls. Men shouted to one another and cursed with frustration as they desperately tried to get their families to safety.

Skylor's mouth fell open at the haunting sight of the assault. "Whoa."

"Heh, I guess we forgot to mention that they can shape-shift," Jay said.

"We have to drive them back," Lloyd announced. "If these warriors get any further in the village, it'll be impossible to save it."

"Then let's kick some tail." Jay pulled up his mask. "Ninjaaaa—"

"GO!" Lloyd, Nya, and Jay whipped into Spinjitzu vortexes and flew into the fray. Skylor, her Polarian blaster in one hand and Nya's katana in the other, ran after them.

The first thing she saw was two men in ragged animal skins who had cornered a small boy against one building. The child sobbed and pressed himself frantically against the wall, as if it could provide sanctuary. The men purred with glee and looked as if they were about to pounce on a mouse.

The little boy made Skylor think of Kissimi, and her anger flared. "Pick on someone your own size, cowards!" She ran and threw herself at both of them. Before either one knew what was happening, she had smashed the hilt of her sword into one man's head, knocking him unconscious, then swung around and delivered a stunning sidekick to the other. The second warrior sprawled to the ground with a grunt, landing painfully on his side.

She grabbed him by the threadbare deerskin shirt he wore, yanked him to his feet, and proceeded to knock his head on the side of the building several times. When he finally stopped struggling, she let him drop to the ground.

She turned to the little boy, who was gaping up at her in awe. "Come on, let's get you out of here—"

The boy's gaze flickered beyond her shoulder. "Look out!"

Skylor whirled around in time for an enormous cat to ram into her and throw her on her back. The breath was knocked out of her. Her head swam, and she tried to breathe. Something sharp pierced her through areas of the uniform that didn't have armor over it, and she realized she could feel claws digging into her flesh.

A guttural voice hissed in her ear. "Mm, fresh meat. I am feeling hungry..."

Skylor's sword arm was pinned beneath of one the creature's paws. Her arm holding the blaster, however, was free. Thus she squirmed to raise up the weapon and, without thinking, pulled the trigger.

BEW!

The impact sent both of them flying in opposite directions. She crashed into the building behind her and lay there, stunned. Her head throbbed painful with the shock of the impact. She was aware of something wet and sticky on her face. It was hard to say whether it was hers or—