Chapter 26: Rescue Mission

To everyone's relief, the storm eventually eased and quieted by late evening, and the weary, wet travelers found a clear area in a rocky valley to spend the night. Creating a fire was impossible, for even if everything wasn't damp with rain, trees were scarce up in those hills. With no heat to cook their food or dry their clothes, everyone settled down on their blankets, surrounded by rocks and mud, and spent a freezing, bitter night up in the mountains. The temperature dropped as night fell, and Cole found himself curled up in a tight ball in his sleeping bag, damp and shivering.

It was tired, cold, and sore group of travelers who woke up the next morning. After a measly breakfast of soggy rice, they continued their way through the mountains, with Eagle Talon assuring them they were nearly there.

Cole wasn't quite sure what to think of the werecat now. He had been as quiet and as curt as ever. His attitude toward the humans never changed, although the said humans now looked at him differently ever since he rescued Nya. Nya never thanked him for his deed, but her treatment of him became less hostile—though not entirely friendly, either.

Cole didn't like Eagle Talon for being one of the werecats involved in kidnapping and torturing—not to mention possibly killing—their friends, nor did he like how he'd posed as Jay and infiltrated the team, which nearly costed them their lives. He was cruel and greedy for those moonstones—for whatever reason, of which Cole was determined to discover—and seemed devoid of emotion. There was every reason to distrust this creature.

However... he did save Nya's life. Eagle Talon could have let her be swept away by the flood while he tried to save himself, yet he risked his own safety by tossing her to the high cliff. Cole could think of nothing the werecat could gain from that deed, and Eagle Talon didn't seem to expect anything. It was a heroic act by an unheroic character, simple as that. Surely that could not be ignored?

Cole wasn't quite sure he was ready to put his faith into the werecat just yet, but the rescue of Nya's life changed the way he regarded him.

Eagle Talon paused in his march, then trotted up a steep slope nearly a hundred yards away. He scanned the other side, which was blocked from view for the others, then announced, "We've arrived."

Cole, Zane, and Nya broke ahead of the group and joined Talon on the rise. Cole looked to see an enormous lake stretching out before them, its surrounding shores distant on the horizon. The entire lake was surrounded by mountains. The midday sky cast bright, golden reflections on the shining lake, which was a deep, beautiful blue.

Down below, the rocky land stretched down to a tiny beach, where small waves lapped the shore in playful gurgles. A soft cry sounded from above their heads, and Cole glanced up to see a white heron gliding through the air. The lake carried a gentle feeling of serenity at its waters.

"Welcome to Gooseneck Lake," Eagle Talon murmured. His gaze scanned the lake with an expression of familiarity.

Nya looked at the little waves lapping the shore and said wistfully, "It looks like a nice place to swim."

"It is," Talon replied. "Mother cats like to take their kittens to swim here—once they're old enough, that is."

Zane glanced at him, looking mildly surprised that Talon had said so much in one sentence. "Did you come here when you were a kitten?"

The wistful expression in Talon's face vanished. "We'd best get back and stay in the shadows. Otherwise a patrol might catch us."

"Patrol?" Cole questioned as Talon turned away from the shore.

"We send patrols of four or more cats around certain areas of our territory each day—either to hunt for food or to keep out intruders." Talon cast a furtive glance over his shoulder. "If anyone catches me with any of you, I'm crow's food."