Chapter 105: The Great Battle, Part 3

"Behind that crag." Mist Rise, in his muscular human form, pointed for Nya to see. "Take us there. We'll climb on paw."

The majority of pine trees and grass dwindled away as the hills and cliffs grew higher and numerous. The Destiny's Bounty skimmed over jagged tips of rock, then slowing as it lowered itself into a sandy hollow. Rocky cliffs surrounded the hollow on all sides, effectively shielding the ship from any creature except birds. The sky was still dark and snowflakes continued to fall.

"Mom, you don't have to come with us," Lloyd protested. Everyone was clambering up to the deck, grabbing weapons. Misako was one of them, taking a bo staff.

"Nonsense." She cast him a little smile. Her hair looked frazzled and a bruise was forming over her eye from the previous battle. "You will need all the fighters you can get."

"Hey," Ronin piped up, sharpening some throwing knives. "We just kicked their butts back there. It can't be that much harder beating them up in their own home, right?"

"Don't jinx us, man," Jay snapped.

"Ancestors save me—you have no idea what you're talking about." Everyone turned to look at Earth Flame. Like the others he was in his human body for Lloyd's sake. "We don't just live in a cave. It's a massive tunnel system that's impossible to navigate if you haven't grown up there. Every cat knows the bottom of this mountain like the back of their paw, and intruders can get cornered or lost real easily."

"Which is why you'll be our guides." As the group assembled on deck, Lloyd pointed at each werecat. "We'll have to fight in small groups to make sure none of us get captured or lost. Quick Fin, you're with Jay and Nya. Mist Rise, you're with Master Wu and Misako. Wolf Paw, you're with Skylor and Ronin."

"I don't need no stinking kitty guide!" Ronin huffed.

"Who's stinky, rat-mouth?" Wolf Paw retorted.

Mist Rise silenced them both. "Shush!"

Lloyd continued, unheeding to the interruption. "Lightning Streak and Earth Flame, you two will be with Zane. And..."

"What about me?" Everyone was surprised to see Spark Pelt limp into view, leaning on Mr. Brookstone's shoulder. A freshly-stained linen bandage was wrapped around his head. "I can still fight."

"I'm not sure..." Lloyd looked doubtful.

"Me, too." There was something hollow in Little Leaf's voice now, taking away the enthusiasm that might have been expected from her. Yet she held her head up and faced Lloyd. "I'm fighting."

Lloyd's gaze flickered between Little Leaf, Spark Pelt, Zane and Cole. Clearly thinking, he finally said, "OK: Lightning Streak and Spark Pelt, you're with Zane. Cole, I'm putting you with Earth Flame, and Little Leaf will be with me. Wow," he added, scanning the crowd. "that's a lot of people."

Mr. Brookstone cleared his throat uneasily. "I'm not sure I want Little Leaf fighting."

"But I can keep going." Some old strength was beginning to return to the young werecat's otherwise hollow voice. "I want to defeat Black Blood and make my home good again."

"But you both could die!"

Cole stared at him. "You've seen me go into battle before, Dad."

"But I've never lost a child before!" His father burst out. "I just got back from burying a son I only just met! Do not make me do that again, I beg you."

For the first time Cole really registered how pale and sick-looking his father's face appeared. A wave of fresh grief returned. "We— we can't promise you anything. We can only do what we think is right."