Chapter 101: Lightning Strikes

This dark forest blanketing the wintry mountainside was very different from the bleaker land to the northeast. The group of lion-sized cats making their way through the pine trees cast wary looks around them. They bristled at every unfamiliar twig snapping or crow cawing. If the black female taking the lead was nervous, she showed no sign of it. She kept walking as if she knew exactly where they were going and what would happen once they got there.

The four sorcerers were alone. Sky Pelt had been left behind because of his age and No Claw because he was still recovering from his wounds. Broken Fang, Rip Claw, and Raven Frost kept close to Black Blood despite all three of them attempting to appear braver than the others. They stepped soundlessly over the mossy and muddy ground.

Despite Black Blood's earlier warning to stay silent, Broken Fang finally muttered, "Why are we going through all this trouble for some mangy, stupid hounds?"

"I already told you," the black cat replied gruffly. "To save lives of our own warriors in the battle. These things will be placed on the front line."

The older female sniffed distastefully and held up a muddy paw. "Why couldn't we have gotten the more intelligent shape-shifters? The ones from the jungles?"

"It is because of their intelligence they must be avoided. Never recruit an ally who is as smart as you are." Black Blood looked over her shoulder at her fellow sorcerers. "And the next cat who opens their mouth will get a lightning curse to their face."

Rip Claw purred while his sister's tails twitched angrily, but both soon quieted.

A loud cawing broke the hush of the forest. The cats looked up to see a small murder of crows flying away above the trees.

"Odd," Raven Frost growled, ignoring his leader's warning. "They seem frightened by something—"

A loud snarl made all four sorcerers jump and bristle. Several dark shapes leapt from the shadows of the trees and surrounded them within moments. They were nearly as big as the nekomata were and had thick gray fur that blended in with the rocky and shadowy environment. Black Blood felt her heart race as the creatures approached them with throaty growls.

Wolves.

Raven Frost began murmuring an enchantment. Quietly Black Blood hissed, "Remember my orders. Say nothing and do nothing unless they attack first." She cast him a cold glare. "That's an order."

The growling increased. She raised her head to see one of the largest wolves—an ugly brute with a jagged scar across his nose—approaching her with his hackles raised. His nose twitched—he was identifying her.

Tails twitching, she took a breath to steady herself before speaking. "Greetings. I am Black Blood. I am the leader of the Tribe of the Moon. I am a bakeneko-nekomata."

The suspicious growls only increased. They didn't seem to like the fact that she was an intelligent creature. The largest wolf eyed her.

Oh, ancestors, she thought grimly. Tell me these brutes can understand us.

Her prayer was answered as if the wolf had heard her thought. "Uh. Black... Blood. Big cat." He stopped padding towards her. The other wolves stilled as well, observing him.

She felt new excitement give her confidence. "Are you the leader?"

"Uh. Am Grunt." He made a motion with his paw to point at himself.

"Grunt. Are you the leader?"

"Leader?"

"Leader." She made herself suppress her frustration. "King. Alpha."