Chapter 55: The Burdens Grow Heavier

It was after everyone had eaten breakfast and most of the crew were up on deck tending to the Destiny's Bounty when Nya found herself alone in the bridge. She breathed a small sigh as she tapped briskly at the computer keyboard. With the ship so crowded, it was nice to have time to herself. The room at that moment was quiet, accompanied by the low hum of the ship's computers and the rocket boosters.

After assuring herself of the ship's security and such, Nya stepped back and ran a hand through her hair. She glanced out the window and caught sight of Lloyd and Zane working together to hoist the main sails, which were flapping in the strong wind that had begun. She felt herself grin when Lloyd, grabbing onto one of the ropes, was nearly lifted off his feet, and Zane had to grab his legs and yank him down before the wind could fling him away.

It'd be easier to hoist the sails with rest of the boys.

Nya's smile vanished at this thought. She didn't know where Cole was at that moment, but she guessed he was keeping out of the way so that he wouldn't be a burden—now blind, he couldn't be of much help in attending to the work of the Bounty. As for Jay and Kai...

Nya gritted her teeth and told herself to not think about that. They'll be all right, she assured herself. All of them—Ronin and Misako, too. It has something to do with the Lifesources. We just have to figure out how to free them from the Dark Sleep.

Matilda's words from the first time they met the irascible old witch came back to her. Nobody knows how to regain a person from this mysterious malady, despite many desperate tries. Nya tried to shake away the memory of her warning.

They'll be fine. They have to be.

At the thought of those suffering from the Dark Sleep, Nya recalled the ones lying in bed in the downstairs cabins. When was the last time anyone had checked on them? Maybe I should take a quick peek.

Nya left the bridge and turned into the hallway that led downstairs. Halfway down, though, she caught the sound of voices coming from an adjoining room. Someone was speaking quietly. She slowed her pace by the door from which the voices came from, which stood slightly ajar. Silently, she nudged the door open wider and peered into what led into the ship's kitchen.

There, by the island, stood Eagle Talon and Little Leaf. The werecat girl's ginger ponytail was messier than usual, left in disarray after her flight with Lloyd. A slight frown twisted Eagle Talon's face. Something was troubling him.

"I think you need to be a little more careful," he was saying as Nya peered in.

With abated breath, Nya fell still and listened intently as Little Leaf replied, "Careful? Talon, we were fine! That dragon was awesome and totally fun! Lloyd knew what he was doing."

Talon huffed, "I don't mean like that, although that is something I want to talk about."

Leaf frowned, looking a little puzzled. She crossed her arms and stared back at her half-brother—who stood much taller than her, but she didn't seem daunted by their differences in size. "All right... then what do you mean?"

"Leaf..." Talon's voice fell to a hush. He glanced around the little room furtively. Nya quickly ducked back, but the werecat didn't catch sight of her. Sighing, he ran a hand through his shaggy hair. "I'm afraid you're getting a little too... close to the humans."

Leaf's feline gaze narrowed. "So?"

"So," Talon growled. "What's going to happen when we return to the Tribe of the Moon? Are you going to be able to fight against the humans you seem to grow so fond of?"

Roots of Earth ~ A Ninjago Fanfictionजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें