Chapter 104: Fallen

Arm drawn back to shoot, Liana stiffened. Cole? That scream... it sounded horrible...

Duty forgotten, she hopped off the rocks and raced across the plain. Is he wounded? Is Talon hurt? Maybe I can heal him again, maybe I can summon my powers—

The ground left her feet and hit her face. A great weight had rammed into her and now pinned her down. Claws dug painfully into her back as she struggled. She tried to shout.

"What's the poor little dear doing out here all alone without a guide?" The familiar voice made her shudder. Raven Frost purred over her head, "Shameful of the Son of Earth, leaving his blind sweetheart out here by herself. I'm afraid I must take you into my custody, Daughter of No One."

"I'm not a Daughter of No One!" Liana growled through gritted teeth. The claws pricked further into her skin, but she continued to wriggle. "And I'll kick your butt!"

"In your dreams." His voice seemed to grow soft and fade away, and Liana suddenly felt sleepy.

* * *

Time seemed to have stopped.

The longbow slipped from Black Blood's hands and turned into black sand when it hit the ground. She couldn't think. She couldn't breathe. Her eyes could only watch the sight that made her once-hot blood now run cold as ice.

Her brother lay on the ground with the arrow sticking from his chest. His eyes were wide as he gasped for breath and wheezed. His fingers clutched helplessly at the grass, as if grabbing onto their green strands would save him.

"What have I done?" The words seemed to come from someone else. She could barely hear herself as she rasped between dry lips, "What have I done? What have I done?"

The muscles in her throat tightened, making it hard to breathe. Some part of her mind registered that it was not her own voice but Cole's that had cried out in shock and grief. Unlike him, she stifled the scream in her chest.

She couldn't take her eyes off him. Her brother... "Eagle Talon, not you," she whispered, stumbling a few steps back. "Talon, Talon, no... not you, please... you were the only one..."

Some pragmatic part of herself reminded her of the battle. Tearing her gaze away from the scene of horror, she looked at the hordes of struggling cats. "Retreat! Fall back! Moon Tribe warriors, retreat!"

* * *

Cole knelt by Eagle Talon, pulling his head into his lap. "That's right, just— breathe, yeah, just breathe. Everything's gonna be OK."

He was barely aware of the Moon Tribe warriors rushing past them. His focus was on Talon's face—white, twisted with pain. A few strands of coal-black hair fell messily around his eyes. Cole's gaze rested on the wound. The arrow was deep in his chest.

"Help!" he cried hoarsely. "Someone help!"

He nearly cried with relief when Ronin raced into view, no longer in his mech. His eye roved over the scene. "Wha—?"

"Get Master Wu, or Misako! Anyone who might be able to heal him!" Cole ordered. "Hurry!"

For once, Ronin did not argue. He ran, calling for help. At his calls Jay, Wolf Paw, Nya and Zane appeared. They all slowed when they saw Talon lying stretched out in the grass.

"Is he—?" Nya stammered.

"He's gonna be fine. He just needs help, fast," Cole rambled. "Wolf Paw—can Spark Pelt heal him?"

The freckle-faced girl shook her head, dark eyes wide. "No, I don't think so. Only the sorcerers can heal in the tribe."

"The sorcerers..." Nya repeated darkly.