Chapter 20: Entering Eagle Talon

The next morning found the remnant of the ninja team—along with their new allies—standing at the foot of the enormous Borg Tower stationed in the very center of Ninjago City. It was a bright blue day, and the citizens bustled about the streets and buildings cheerily. Passing pedestrians glanced curiously at the motley group walking by, but otherwise they were left alone.

Wu led the group alongside Matilda as they scaled the steps leading up to the doors, explaining to her who Cyrus Borg was and what he did. The witch's gaze scanned the modern lifestyle of the world around her. "Humph. You all seem to be a pretty high-tech lot."

"You do not get this where you are from?" Wu inquired.

"I'm from a more old-fashioned region," she responded lightly.

As they walked up the steps Eagle Talon—wearing an assortment of civilian clothing donated (reluctantly) to him—glanced around rather warily at his surroundings. He seemed to flinch at every car honk, voice talking, and cell phone ringing.

Cole noticed the werecat's behavior with smug amusement and thought of making a "scaredy-cat" pun. Then, remembering Eagle Talon's claws and probable ability to transform into a huge nekomata if provoked, he thought better of it.

Cole's gaze drifted away from the werecat in his human form to Liana, who was scaling the steps beside him. She misjudged the next step and suddenly began to tumble forward.

In that split second Cole jumped to her side and grabbed her, keeping her from falling on the concrete. "You OK?"

"Let go of me! I can do it myself!" She jerked herself from his grasp. Scowling, she turned away from him and continued up the steps.

Cole glared after her resentfully, then his shoulders slumped in a small sigh. Liana had been quiet all morning and seemed to be doing everything in her power to ignore Cole, and anything he said or did to her was either met with a stony silence or a sharp word from her surprisingly vicious tongue. Cole himself wasn't very cordial either, still burning resentfully from last night's skirmish, but as time went by he tried to force away his anger and make peace with Liana. The sun had gone down on her anger, however, and she rejected all feeble attempts to mend their friendship. Cole didn't see why she had to be so unreasonable, and her attitude was beginning to drive him bonkers.

"Women," he muttered under his breath.

The group stopped at the top of the steps when Wu paused and glanced back. "Aren't you coming, Eagle Talon?"

Everyone looked back to see the young man standing warily halfway up the stairs, staring up at the building with wide eyes. He glanced back up at the group staring at him and frowned. "I— I think I'll stay outside," he responded stiffly. "You go on ahead. I'll wait."

Nya glared at Eagle Talon suspiciously, but Wu only said, "Fine. We'll meet you out here in a few minutes."

With that, he opened the door and led the way inside the building, followed by everyone. Cole paused at the doorway and looked back at Eagle Talon. The latter was glaring at the people milling about him with a dark resentment, staring at them as if they represented all that he abhorred and despised. His hands clenched into fists, and his lip curled.

"Don't eat anyone, OK?" Cole called sarcastically from the door.

Eagle Talon's burning gaze jerked back up at Cole. He sneered, "Ha. You just watch yourself, Son of Earth, or you may be the first to go."

Cole suppressed a shiver at the sight of those green eyes burning bitterly. With a forced sneer matching Eagle Talon's, he closed the door behind him.