Chapter 102: The Great Battle

The door would have burst open if it weren't for the furniture shoved haphazardly against it. It helped that the policemen, Spark Pelt, Jay, Nya, and even the wounded policewoman were all pressing their weight against it. The entire wall shuddered at every shove from the force behind the door.

The Moon Tribe warriors had finally gotten upstairs and were now using all their strength to break down the only barrier that kept Jay and his companions alive.

"What are you, a bunch of whimpering rabbits?" Raven Frost's voice sounded hoarse, as if he'd done a little too much screaming. "Break down that door!"

"Why don't you use your magic?" a male voice retorted.

"Shut up! I'll use it when I'm ready!"

Jay grinned to himself. Apparently he had sapped enough energy from Raven Frost to take away his abilities—for the moment, at least. Another boom and groan from the building reminded him that it would not last long.

"What're you smiling about?!" Nya snapped. She stood beside him, leaning her weight against an old armchair. "Just because Raven Frost can't use his powers right now doesn't mean the others can't break through! Focus!"

"I am, I am!" he retorted.

She looked away. "I hope Earth Flame gets here soon."

"What, already losing interest in Cole?"

Too late, Jay realized the joke was both stupid and mean. He felt surprised that such a thought would even occur to him.

She whirled on him like an enraged tigress. "Are you serious? What is wrong with you? I'm sorry for what I did, but do you have to keep this up?!"

"You two, please—" Spark Pelt tried.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean it—" Jay started.

Nya's face was flushed red. He couldn't remember the last time she'd looked so angry. "No, you did mean it. That's the problem. You've been so out of character and it's driving me crazy. I'm sorry for everything I did that hurt you—but that doesn't mean you get to treat me like this now!"

"Nya—"

A loud feline snarling sound was followed by another boom. The entire wall trembled and this time splinters went flying. Jay whirled around to see the edge of the battered and charred door was broken—and Raven Frost's face was glaring at him from the largest crack.

"Look out!" Jay leapt in front of Nya. He thrust one arm out to shoot a lightning bolt but instead felt a slicing sensation rip and sink into his open hand. Splinters stabbed his face when he stumbled and fell prostrate on the floor.

The gushing sound of water rose over his head, followed by a feline screech and angry sputtering. He rose his head enough to see Nya shooting water through the gap, where Raven Frost had disappeared. Jay's vision swam.

"My hand..." He gritted his teeth at the burning pain. The building shuddered again. A faint ringing sound in his ears came with the throbbing. It drowned out the noise of battle. The world seemed to fade away around him—all he could focus on was the ringing and his hand.

Then a whisper broke the high-pitched sound. It was soft but was the only thing he could hear. It was Kohuru's voice. I just came to tell you that only one of those things from your nightmares will happen.

Spark Pelt cried out. Nya was yelling something but all their voices were muffled, as if someone had stuffed a pillow around Jay's head.

In one of them, first you were running down a dark hall, then you had a blade run through your hand.