Chapter 43: Mission: Uncomfortable

"We're in," Nya murmured into the communication device around her wrist.

The stylish red bracelet responded in Zane's voice. "Good. Lloyd, Liana and myself are in the main hall. We are waiting for you three."

"We're on our way." Nya lowered her arm and breathed a quick sigh. "I can't believe we got past the guards that easily."

"That was the easy part," Cole responded grimly. "The hard part is going in there with all those gangsters and cutthroats and pretending to be one of them and trying to find Little Leaf and the moonstone."

"First things first," Eagle Talon said, glancing furtively over his shoulder. "We meet the others inside, see what we're dealing with, and figure out a way to search the fortress without anyone noticing."

Cole nodded, a bit surprised by Talon's quick cooperation. "Right."

"Well, what are we waiting for?" Nya took the lead. "Let's go."

The three teens crossed the cobblestone courtyard of the palace, which was nearly empty. Torches cast dim, flickering orange light amongst the evening shadows creeping down the building. A couple of gangsters leaning against what looked like a stable for horses conversed quietly and once in a while laughed brashly. Cole tried to ignore the glances they gave him and his companions, and attempted to act like he belonged there.

Cole, Nya, and Talon reached the main entrance of the palace and pulled the great wooden doors open. Nya slipped inside first, then Cole. Talon glanced back and up at the sky, one hand on the door handle.

Cole paused and looked at Talon, waiting for him to join he and Nya inside. For the first time, Cole wondered if the werecat had trouble going inside human buildings—if he was afraid of being trapped under a roof and between walls.

Talon took a deep breath, turned away from the outside world, and closed the door.

The three spies walked down the entrance hall, which was brightly lit with modern lighting and adorned lavishly with stylish carpets and wall decorations. Nobody met them in the hall, but an open door at the far end showed them glimpses of many people drifting about in a large room. They could hear music and people chattering and the smell of food from where they were.

Nya paused by a mirror hanging on the wall and glanced at herself. "You know, I think I kinda like my hair like this. I may grow it out."

Cole was a little surprised. "But you've always had your hair that short. Why do you want to change it?"

"I dunno," Nya replied, looking away from the mirror. "It just looks cute."

Cole shrugged. "Your hair."

"Are you planning to change your hair?"

"Why would I? It looks great the way it—"

"Mouse brains!" Eagle Talon exclaimed impatiently, glaring at the two of them. "Someone could be listening! Don't blow our cover by talking about your fur— I mean, hair— or whatever! Remember, we're supposed to be these Baldy siblings! What do you think will happen if one of these bandits see one of you messing with your disguises?!"

"Talon, chill." Cole scowled. "It's fine. What are you so worked up about?"

"Let's just find Little Leaf and the moonstone and get out of here, for ancestors' sake." Talon turned away with a growl, tugging on the dark leather jacket he wore uncomfortably.

"Sheesh." Cole and Nya followed.

The three of them pushed open the doors at the end of the hall and entered. As soon as he crossed the threshold, Cole stopped and stared.