Chapter 49: The Sight

Liana struggled like a tigress, kicking and squirming wildly, but no amount of effort availed her. Raven Frost's arms around her neck and arms felt as strong as steel. All she was accomplishing was exhausting herself.

The werecat sorcerer was practically ignoring her as he dragged her down the halls. Liana could hear his footsteps and her own heels dragging across the cobblestone floor echoing eerily throughout the passage. Other than the sound of their own movement, all was silent. It was creepy. Even if it had been the sound of other warrior cats, Liana would have been comforted to hear another sign of life.

The sound of their echoes shifted when Raven Frost dragged her into a room. It was a relatively small one, judging by how the sound bounced off the stone walls. Liana guessed it was about the size of her bedroom back in Stiix. Before she knew what was happening, the werecat had shoved her down on her back on a cold, hard table-like structure. Icy manacles were strapped around her wrists. When she moved them, she heard chains rattle and felt them hanging on her arms.

Liana's heart was racing like mad—she thought it would burst out of her chest. "W— what are you going to do to me?" Despite her best effort, she couldn't stop the slight tremor in her voice.

Raven Frost's chuckle sounded above Liana's head. "The same thing we did to the Sons and Daughters of— oh, pardon me," he added mockingly. "to the 'ninja'. The rest of the team will meet the same fate soon enough... as will you, Daughter of No One."

Liana stiffened when she felt Raven Frost's fingers running down the side of her face. She flinched back and snarled, "Don't touch me."

Raven Frost drew his hand away, but otherwise ignored her. "I can't help but wonder, why in the name of the first ancestors would the 'ninja' add a blind she-man to their ranks? Seems rather desperate to me... Of course, I suppose you know each other, but to go and risk your neck for their lot is quite beyond me—"

Raven Frost suddenly sucked in his breath, then he laughed softly. "Don't tell me you have a special connection with one of the toms! One of them is a mate, perhaps?"

Liana flushed indignantly. "Don't be stupid! They're all just friends!"

"I suppose the Son of the First is rather good-looking—for a human, of course." Raven Frost seemed to be enjoying her discomfort and anger.

"Ew. No way," Liana muttered, making a face.

"Hmm... surely not the Son of Ice—what about the Son of Earth?"

"You're crazy."

Raven Frost dropped his voice to a low hush. "Oh, but I'm not, little Daughter of No One," he purred in her ear, making her cringe and flinch away. "I can see into your mind. I can crawl into the darkest, deepest depths of your memories, your dreams, your hopes, and your fears. In just a few moments..." He whispered softly, "you will be completely under my power."

A cold chill ran down Liana's spine. "Y— you're going to trap me in the Dark Sleep, aren't you?"

"Yes," was the low hiss. "Yes, I am."

Liana heard fingernails scraping over something like glass—was Raven Frost carrying a jewel or a glass ball?—and the sorcerer began to chant softly, a strange, haunting tune that reverberated strangely throughout the room. A low hum made Liana's head ache.

"No!" Liana jolted up and strained against the chains, wrenching her wrists in the manacles painfully. Raven Frost's low murmur continued, increasing in intensity.

Her head felt heavy. Strange, high-pitched voices were whispering. Her eyelids fluttered. She could hear her heart pounding like a hammer in her ears, it rang with each beat.