Chapter 98: Getting into Jëmlen

"Is this it?" Kai looked down on himself. A blood-red cloak covered his head and fell from his shoulders. An iron clasp attached at his breast kept the pieces of the cloak together. The color stood out sharply compared to the rest of his beige-and-brown tunic. A lithe longsword dangled at his side from the thick leather belt that matched his knee-high boots.

"I thought we'd need more— y'know, armor or something than this."

Rantan replied gruffly. "You two are going to be trying to blend in with the crowd before getting into the castle and pretending to be part of the staff." Hands planted on his hips, he looked over Kai approvingly. "Can't have you looking too poor, but neither too rich. Keep that blade hidden beneath the cloak. Only nobles and soldiers own swords."

Kai flicked the heavy material so that it draped over the sheathed weapon. "Pretty sweet. Thanks. Where's Garagan?"

"Drowning himself in kimbachi again in the kitchens, I expect," the older man snorted. "That's about all he ever does when he's not out on the field."

Kaeden and Jukeni met Kai on his way to the kitchens. They exchanged well wishes and goodbyes while slapping his back and shaking his hand heartily.

"We'll see each other again soon," Kai assured them with a grin. "We'll all get together, kick that Hälogen's butt, and free your country once and for all."

"Or you and Garagan will both get caught and get your heads chopped off before you can get us all in," Jukeni added cheerfully.

"Thanks, Jukeni."

Kaeden spoke up seriously. "He has a point. This will be incredibly dangerous. Take care—not just for your own sake, but for Garagan and everyone else's."

"It's gonna be fine. You'll see." Kai gripped Kaeden's paw-hand and grinned warmly at him. "We'll all be together again, sipping kimbachi and laughing about this in a few days."

Kai felt surprised by the feeling of wanting to stay with Kaeden and Jukeni—he was going to miss them, he realized. They'd become his friends over the past few weeks through their adventures. He would see them again soon enough, of course, but they had become the most familiar faces in this strange place—this bizarre realm where dogs walked and talked like people, where unicorns were carnivorous predators, where pixies could bite your toes in your sleep and countries were torn apart by civil war.

He entered the loud, steamy kitchen; women young and old in skirts and aprons bustled this way and that. Enormous black pots hissed and bubbled from the rickety stoves whose flames made Kai's skin prickle with sweat. The lack of windows made it feel hot, crowded and stuffy.

"Fire Mage?" A young voice startled him. "What brings you here?"

He turned and met the heart-shaped face framed by dark brown hair and matching eyes. This time her hair was up in a bun. It took him a moment to remember her name—the girl who'd flirted with him a few nights ago. "You— Yu— Yarida!"

She smiled and giggled coyly. "How may I serve you?"

"I'm looking for Garagan. Have you seen him?"

Her smile wilted. "Oh. He's by the mantle." She gestured with the wooden spoon she held.

"Thanks." Kai approached the large stone mantle that sat away from the activity. A figure crouched there in a dark, weather-beaten cloak. Bright blond, scruffy hair peeking from the fallen hood betrayed the man's identity.

"Hey, Garagan." Kai shook the older man's shoulder. "Tinny Bird told us it's time. We gotta go now, man."

Garagan turned and scowled at him—his eyes were glazed over and bloodshot. "I need a drink," he slurred.